J. Esdaile & Co. London Pianette

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Ryan

J. Esdaile & Co. London Pianette

Post by Ryan »

Hi, My partner has an old J Esdaile & Co piano and was wondering if anyone had some information or backgroung on J Esdaile & Co.. The only Markings I can see on this upright are:
"J Eisdale & Co, London"
"Iron Vertical Trichord Pianette"
I have found a number under the lid which I assume is the serial number it is 1413. It is hard to find out this information in Australia, so If anyone has any information or an idea of how old this Piano is, it would be a great help. Thanks
Ryan
Bill Kibby

Eisdale or Esdaile?

Post by Bill Kibby »

I take it that this is spelt Esdaile? John Esdaile received an exhibition medal for his pianos in 1883, which is mentioned on some pianos. He was in Water Lane and Great Tower Street in 1886, but chose not to be listed in most directories, so is difficult to trace. It would be interesting to have some photos for my files, and if there is enough interior detail, I may be able to compile a report on design and approximate age, but valuation is impossible.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Thanks for the quick response bill..

Yes it is a Esdaile (my spelling error. I understand that a valuation is a bit hard.. I am mainly trying to find out how old the piano is.

As soon as I charge up the batteries in the digital camera I will send a few pics over.

Thanks again,
Ryan
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I have just opened it right up, and can't see any markings/stamps/symbols on the cast frame. There was a stamping on the timber frame under the right handside of the keyboard which said "788 Champton"

I am not sure if this makes any sense, but other than that there is nothing anywhere..
Bill Kibby

Esdaile

Post by Bill Kibby »

Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info