Traditional or Digital

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

kathy

Traditional or Digital

Post by kathy »

Hi - I'm new here and looking for some advice.

A few months ago I decided that I was going to learn to play the piano (had wanted to for years but had never got round to it or had the funds or opportunity). Being niave I purchased a digital keyboard. This is really fun to play with lots of gadgets and sounds, but when I started having lessons on a "real" piano - soon found out that it was very different and difficult learning on one and practising on the other.

So I have now decided to buy a piano - and only really considered a "traditional" one till I went looking today and say the digital piano's available.

Most of the digital seem to have the plastic keys which I didn't like the feel of, but did find a Kawai CA5 which has wooden keys and felt much more like a "real" piano.

So now I'm in a real quandry - to go digital or not. In some ways it almost feels like cheating and not playing properly?

I have a budget of about &1500 - which is a little bit flexible. Piano playing is going to be a hobby and something so far I think I'm really going to enjoy I dont want to try and be a classical or concert pianist!

So does anyone have any suggestions, guidance, advice on helping me make my decision.

Thanks in advance.

Kathy
Steve071261
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Steve071261 »

Hi Kathy,

I think most pianists would agree that digital pianos, good though many of them are, are no substitute for the "real thing" when it comes to sound quality or keyboard feel.

That said, digital pianos have some undeniable advantages:

they take up less space, they are smaller, lighter and (much) easier to move around

for a given level of quality, they cost less than a new upright - your &1500 will get you a superb digital piano brand new, or a middling upright brand new.

Secondhand is a similar story, you should be able to get a fairly modern (say 1990s)upright of very good quality for &1500 if you shop around, and you'd probably be hard-pressed to spend &1500 on a secondhand digital.

Digitals have other advantages, such as the option to connect headphones and practise silently while others watch telly, or late at night. Also, they usually have several "voices" so you can mess around with different sounds. Most allow you to connect to a computer, which opens up all sorts of possibilities.

So quite a lot depends on where you think your piano playing might take you. If you get a lot out of your playing, then long-term you'll probably appreciate a real piano. If you're just doing it for fun, you might get more fun from the extra features of a digital piano.

Domestic circumstances might also have a bearing: do you live in an upstairs flat. Do you have lots of room. Where will the piano live, i.e. in a quiet room, or in the main living room. Do you move house/flat regularly. Have you got kids. You get the idea.

I suggest you have some fun trying new and used pianos, and some digital pianos, within your budget. Personally, I prefer the Roland digital pianos to the Yamaha Clavinovas, but a used Yamaha upright would be high on my list of "real" pianos in your budget.

Decide which you like the best. There's no right or wrong answer.

happy playing!

Steve
kathy

Post by kathy »

Steve thanks so much for the very helpful information.

I have (well think I have!) decided on a traditional piano.

So now the hunting begins!

Will start a new thread with some more questions I think!

Regards

Kathy