Help please !

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

ncaj
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Help please !

Post by ncaj »

I am trying to find a piano for my daughter who is now onto her grade 7, having managed so far on a yamaha ydp151 digital paino.

Would anybody recommend or have any knowledge of the contenders I have so far which are ;

2003 Gors Kallmann Concerto
2006 Monington & Weston 110cm
2001 Kemble Prestige

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :?
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Help please !

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

Hello Ncaj,
Welcome to the forums.
Here are some questions for you...

1. Have you visited those pianos yet? If so, which did your daughter prefer?
2. What were the difference prices?
3. Does your daughter like a bright, lively sound or a mellower, softer sound? Or something in the middle.
4. What part of the country are you in please?
5. Do you have a set budget yet? Or are you open to suggestion?

General Point (my opinion)
The Monington & Weston is too small at 110cm. I would recommend getting a piano no shorter in height than 120cm, ideally, go above 130cm so that you get a nice big soundboard and nice long strings which will then help produce a nice, rich tone. The Kemble is apparently only 118cm high so again, perhaps consider something bigger. The G&K is 121cm tall so that's getting closer.

2 very popular models that are of a good height are the Yamaha U1 (121cm tall) and the Yamaha U3 (131cm tall). Both produce a high quality tone and are very strong and robust pianos that are more than capable of handling students up to grade 8 and as far beyond that as their ambition takes them. Budget around £2500 - £3000 for a U1 or £3000 - £3500 for a U3.

If you are near the North of England you might spend a day visiting these shops

1. Mark Goodwin Pianos, Oldham, Greater Manchester
That's me! Usually around 20 U1/U3 pianos ready and tuned up for playing. Lots more in stock that are waiting to be tuned.

2. Music Box, Prestwich
15 minute drive from me and stock new Yamahas and new Chinese pianos

3. Dawsons, Manchester
15 minute drive from me. Nice, posh showroom. Small selection of U3s usually.

4. Forsyth's, Manchester
Near Dawson's. Huge shop, loads of pianos, new & used.

5. North West piano centre
Near Manchester centre. Friendly owner. Very good quality U1 and U3 pianos stocked

Who else? There is Besbrode pianos in Leeds which is about a 40 minute drive away from Manchester.
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
ncaj
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by ncaj »

Thank you for your reply.

We haven't visited the pianos yet as they are all at different ends of the country to each other and us! which is why I was looking for some guidance. I appreciate they will all sound and feel different but I don't know much about the actual makes.

Prices were from £799 to £995, so not much difference there, the budget would stretch a little further, but not much unfortunately !
My daughter seems to prefer a more mellow sound....nothing too bright.

We are in Cambridgeshire and have been to Besprode pianos, and a couple of local shops but nothing took her fancy !
piano heads
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by piano heads »

Hi,of the 3 pianos you mentioned all in equal condition and regulated and tuned the Kemble Prestige is the better piano as it is a Yamaha in a hybrid case,the other 2 are Chinese and not as well constructed.The height of the piano should not sway your decision at the level of playing ability and budget.A Kemble Prestige 10 year old in good condition for less than a grand is a bargain in my opinion.
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

piano heads wrote:A Kemble Prestige 10 year old in good condition for less than a grand is a bargain in my opinion.
It should be at least twice that price if not more if in good condition. In most rooms a 120-125 cm piano is perfectly fine. You will need to at least double your budget for a used Yam but just trawl the net theres loads of them from good to grotty, take a tech to check them over and you should be fine
I would go with the Kemble, nice tone, nice action, nice case that wont just be another big black traditional piano like every one else has.
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

piano heads wrote:Hi,of the 3 pianos you mentioned all in equal condition and regulated and tuned the Kemble Prestige is the better piano as it is a Yamaha in a hybrid case,the other 2 are Chinese and not as well constructed.The height of the piano should not sway your decision at the level of playing ability and budget.A Kemble Prestige 10 year old in good condition for less than a grand is a bargain in my opinion.
I would tend to agree with these comments. Also had to smile at the highlighted phrase above. I know what you mean, and so will most Brits, but it will have more than a few overseas readers (and there are many) scratching their heads at the comparison between the Kemble and a grand (piano).
Just as well DelBoy wasn't selling it for 'less than a bag of sand'......... :wink:
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
ncaj
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by ncaj »

Thank you all for your help with this....looks like we will be off to have a proper look at the Kemble then !
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

Yes in that budget I'd snap up the kemble... but ask an idependent technician to wirte a detailed report about it before buying.

Happy shopping :)
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
piano heads
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by piano heads »

MarkGoodwinPianos wrote:Yes in that budget I'd snap up the kemble... but ask an idependent technician to wirte a detailed report about it before buying.

Happy shopping :)
In one thread the Kemble Prestige is too small at 118cm for "less than a grand"and should be buying a U1 which is 121cm at 3 times the price for better sound quality,the Kemble is 10 years old and in domestic use and the used Yamaha probably 30 years old has likely had heavy usage in a Far Eastern music school never knew 3cm could cost so much;3cm may make a difference to the missus,but not to the sound of the piano?.
ncaj
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by ncaj »

Missed out on the Kemble so will have to start the search again :cry:
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

I think you will need a bigger budget if thats the type of piano you are looking for. Are you looking for the piano to last the rest of her life or something to do grade 8 on. It may be worth hiring a 120cm plus piano for a few years to do the grade 8 rather than buying a small 110cm piano that she will not get a lot out of. Its really going to be down to how much you can spend.
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

ncaj wrote:Missed out on the Kemble so will have to start the search again :cry:
I agree with MDW's comments. Why don't you consider renting (with option to purchase) a 120cm piano or larger. We did this with our son when he started piano studies, not knowing whether he would really take to it seriously. But he did, very seriously, and when we decided to purchase (the same piano - a pretty sturdy & pleasant new Gebr.Niendorf) the dealer took into consideration all the 18month payments we had already made - but we no doubt had to pay the initial catalogue price - "Ouch!" So be aware of that.
If for example you decide on a new or used piano, one can (and always should) negotiate the price in order to get the best possible discount.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"