Most sold piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

James Henderson
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Most sold piano

Post by James Henderson »

I was at a concert this evening and someone asked me which piano is the most popular worldwide (as in which piano is sold most often, NOT which piano is best!). I thought it was an interesting question but I had no idea what the answer might be, other than it's probably an upright. Do any of you guys know which make/model of piano gets sold most often?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Most sold piano

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I would say if you include second-hand it would be Yamaha

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

I don't have any stats but I'd say for new pianos the Yamaha B1 is probably a red hot selling upright and the GB1 baby grand no doubt flies off the shelves.

For second hand, you just have to look at how high the Yamaha serial numbers go. They are beyond the 6 million mark now so that surely makes them the winner. As for which is the most popular model I'm not sure but I know there are tens of thousands of U1 and U3 pianos being exported from Japan every year. So I'd say those models will take some beating in terms of sheer volume of historical sales.

Are there any other contenders?
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

The industry standard practice/studio grand piano is probably the Yamaha C3, those seem to be the ones I've seen most of. In quality (preparation perhaps?) they can range from the sublime to the downright awful.

In most conservatoires the Steinway B is the standard teaching piano.

I haven't seen all that many Bostons although I think that will change as the quality of the latest instruments is very high.