value of older piano?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

alilever0
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

value of older piano?

Post by alilever0 »

I have an upright Rogers piano that I bought about 20 years ago. It had been restored by a local piano tuner. Having had the chance to buy a second hand modern Kemble, I really want to sell the Rogers. I've been told there's no market for older pianos at the moment and that I can't expect to get much for it, even though it's been well looked after and tuned every 6 months. Any views on a realistic price ?
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: value of older piano?

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Please refer to the top of this page (last sentence), in the blue box - thats how to start the valuation process.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
alilever0
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by alilever0 »

Already tried that. Just became more confusing ! Can't seem to get a concensus. I am told it's a very good piano but that they are just not selling - so although it should be worth £600 I'm not likely to find anyone wanting to pay that. Do I just resign myself to having to sell it for much less or put up with it taking up space and keep it until one of my children has their own place? That's not going to happen for years probably. I'm in a quandary - just want some idea of what amount would be realistic in the current climate. Anyone else had the same dilemma?
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Along the lines of Rogers pianos, similar looking pianos like Bentley/ Hopkinson are also difficult to sell for reasonable money (say, over £500). Part of you also thinks, "what about all that money I spent on having it restored"? - well, regrettably most of that would have been labour costs, and you'll never get that back.

To the novice pianist they are OK, but string length & quality of sound in the bass is poor - so try and aim for someone as a beginner - a ideal piano. For just under £2K - you can buy a brand new piano, including stool and even with 10 years warranty. So no matter how much you paid for the piano, the general design of Rogers is only accepted by the very few.

Unfortunately, all sloping fronted pianos with no legs, and no matter what wood finish - light oak/ mahogany etc., are mostly out-dated now, and not fashionable. Alot of "new buyers" of pianos tend to go for the black polyester finish on it (not to be confused with ebonised black of the early 1900's) - so pianos like Kawai, Yamaha are in the in-thing now - not necessarily because of their new carbon fibre actions, and super- duper sound production - simply because they are in fashion & black poly. I wouldn't build your hopes up on getting £600, but maybe a local ad in your paper may work. Try also furniture/piano auctions.

I visited some friends last night, and they have completely converted their kitchen - everything is black !! - every kitchen appliance, even the washing machine & dish washer (Beko) is shiny black - it s not my cup of tea, but there you go!!
AA Piano Tuners UK

joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Why ? a well maintainted Rogers of 20 years will be in my opinion just as good if not better than a used Kemble,keep your money.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

You say the piano was bought about 20 years ago..... was this from new? or is assumed/ alleged to be new since it was restored? there's a difference. What is the actual age of the piano (before restoration) by the serial number, and what level of restoration was done, and how much was spent on the restoration?

If it was a restoration just done to the mechanism, then this isn't a restoration - just a refurbishment. Sometimes a piano tuner just replaces the bridle tapes and hammer balance leathers, the odd bit of re-pinning, then call it a "restoration". It is sometimes unlikely that the hammer heads/ shanks, dampers, springs and everything else replaced. Realistically, I don't think the piano would be worth spending that much on it - but I may be wrong. It would be interesting to know what was done - do you still have the invoice and workshop details etc?

If only the mechanism has been restored, then this leaves the strings, wrest pins, keyboard bushings, pedal mechanism - have these also been replaced?

Cheers
AA Piano Tuners UK

Peter Smith@PSPianos
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Peter Smith@PSPianos »

Hi alilever0,

I understand that you are asking mainly about value and if it's a good time to sell ? i.e. The state of the market as it stands today.

As a piano tuner who runs his own shop buying and selling pianos I will tell you what I told someone earlier today...
" Your piano is worth as much as someone is prepared to pay for it. If you have an item that I want, then a good guide as to how much I want it will be how much I am willing to pay for it. If someone is prepared to pay more for it than I am, then it's of greater value to the other party ...and so sell it to them."

Often I come across pianos for sale and the ' tuner ' or local antique dealer has said " it's worth..£ " The customer then phones me and I'll tell them what I'm prepared to pay for that piano. If my valuation of their piano is similar to that of the 'tuner' or dealer has placed on it then I'm in with a chance. If my valuation is less than what the customer expects then my life is difficult. They expect £x and I've just told them I'm not prepared to pay that.
What I usually tell the seller is what I have stated earlier..it's worth as much as anyone is willing to pay for it !
If their 'tuner' thinks it's worth £x get him to buy it ! ....Otherwise he should not involve himself in that discussion.

Currently the market is quiet. As with all things, it's a buyers market- not a sellers market.
If you need to sell then you just have to take the 'best' offer. If you can wait until the market improves, then wait.
Only thing is...you will need to wait a long time.

Coming through the summer period is usually quiet.
When the schools start back, life gets good again.
If their's a time to sell...you are just about hitting the correct time.

Good luck .
Peter.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Hi Peter, yeh, been there, done it!! Selling a piano often needs an "agony aunt" !! Basically, selling a piano is one of the most difficult aspects of life. I work part-time in a music/piano shop - with over 60 pianos for sale, and the manager has gone on holiday to USA (not mentioning any names), yet he asks me to keep in constant touch with him!! - facebook, email, twitter etc. When a customer walks in the shop, its like - WOW - "we have to sell" !! - it doesn't always work, and we are asked questions afterwards.

Anyone trying to sell a piano on this forum obviously doesn't know the piano's true origin..... when it was made, and so on, and they suddenly expect us to take over a piano, unseen, unknown, no pictures - nothing!! not even a serial number.... I rest my case
AA Piano Tuners UK

lida

Post by lida »

However, I was playing a couple of days ago and heard a crunch inside the piano, followed by the Sustained Pedal becoming inactive. took off the kickboard to investigate and found a piece of curved metal had snapped off.
vernon

Post by vernon »

what's the problem.
get your piano tech-new pedal spring £25.00
job done
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Vernon,

I think this post has appeared before elsewhere (the wording is exact) - and in fact a photo of a pedal 'leaf' spring was attached, then answered by Barrie..... or they were bored, and couldn't work out why they heard a crunchie in the piano - it must have been Friday!
AA Piano Tuners UK

alilever0
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by alilever0 »

Thanks everyone who has replied. To cut a long story short, I bought the kemble for my son to do hiis Grade 8 and his piano teacher seemed to be right in saying she could get him to the next level on this piano as he got a distinction. so now I have two pianos and really want some space.I think the Rogers was refurbished. I paid £900 for it about 25 years ago and also put a piano with that as part exchange. It wasn't new then I think it's an early 20th century piano. Basically well built, but my son's teacher thought he wouldn't be able to get much variety of tone colour from it .
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Well done,the student should find the Kemble piano touch and note response better than old piano as they progress to diploma standard.As a keen amateur myself find the touch a bit on the light side but certainly a good workhorse piano.Tone is a personal thing and not something i would associate with Kemble or Yamaha pianos.
alilever0
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by alilever0 »

OK - any more information available if I tell you the serial number is 27644?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

alilever0 wrote:OK - any more information available if I tell you the serial number is 27644?
if the ? is a missing number then made 1997 if not then pre 1930

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
alilever0
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by alilever0 »

It's a question mark - so pre 1930. Thanks!