Has anyone heard of a Hillmar piano?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

ronniebou

Has anyone heard of a Hillmar piano?

Post by ronniebou »

Hi

I have just been given an old upright piano. The make is Hillmar. Just wondering if anyone out there has ever heard of this make?

I always promised myself piano lessons when I retire and now with a piano and retirement looming it is time to take the plunge!
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Has anyone heard of a Hillmar piano?

Post by NewAge »

It's not a piano I've ever heard of, but not being in the trade that's probably not surprising.
However for what it's worth, I note there's a Hillmar for sale elsewhere on the internet, 85 keys, alleged to have been refurbished 10years ago, and priced at 300 GB pounds.
I hope yours is in reasonable, playable condition, because all to often free pianos can be something of a 'poisoned present', requiring a fair amount of money to make them playable or to retain their tuning.
Anyway, good luck with your lessons, and retirement.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Yeh, "cheap n cheerful" piano! think of it, would you pay £300 for a car? - probably not - so you pay your money & take a chance.
Likely future issues may be loose tuning pins, lack of stability in tuning. The example has had some action work - bridle tapes? but that doesn't mean its been professionally restored!!!
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Wedgewoodgreen2000

Post by Wedgewoodgreen2000 »

My father has one of these it's been in the family for at least 80 years as it was his grandmothers.

It was made especially for a shop in Glasgow called cuthbertsons.

It's been played through 4 generations and still going well.

Happy playing.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Wedgewoodgreen2000 wrote:My father has one of these it's been in the family for at least 80 years as it was his grandmothers.

It was made especially for a shop in Glasgow called cuthbertsons.

It's been played through 4 generations and still going well.

Happy playing.
Could you post a photo showing the piano,think you may be getting mixed up with the name Ritzmar which was a piano sold exclusively through Cuthbertson Glasgow many years ago.