understring felts

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Ceres ll
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

understring felts

Post by Ceres ll »

Hi,

I have noticed , in my knabe spinet, that there was no understring felts near the hitch pins and the wood bridge in the third section; same for the second section near the hitch pins.
I would like to know if these components are absolutely necessaries or is it just a matter of taste or brand to produce different kind of sound?

In my old lesage these felts appear everywhere in the three sections, near the hitch pins and the wood bridge.

Can it improve the quality of the sound to add felts in my spinet?

Thanks.
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: understring felts

Post by sussexpianos »

The stringing felt is used to stop unwanted sound coming from the the string length between the bridge and hitch point, unless there is a duplex scaling if some piano owners are wondering, or the length is so short that it would be difficult to sound.If there could be be some sound due to sympathy sounding strings, then you should weave some felt in.
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.