Any advice on room humidifier?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

david g
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Any advice on room humidifier?

Post by david g »

After 9 years, my Turmix room humidifier seems to have stopped working. I may therefore need to buy another urgently. I am confronted with a choice between different types of humidifier, and I am wondering if anyone can offer advice or experience.

This article http://www.airandwatercentre.com/ultras ... 9-article/ by a leading distributor is quite informative. There seem to be three types.

Ultrasonic. This has the disadvantage of creating dust from hardness in the water.

Steam. This is what I have at present, and has been very effective and easy to use. It gives accurate humidity control, with no need for silver sticks or any sort of additive. The high temperature at which the steam is produced kills any bugs in the water. The curator of Finchcocks Museum suggested to me that this was the type to get. A disadvantage is that is relatively expensive to use, but I have been very happy with my Turmix steam humidifier.

Evaporative. This includes the “air washer” variety which I have heard that several piano owners use. I don’t know how much trouble it is to remember to replace silver sticks and additives. Also – and this is important – I don’t know how accurately they control the humidity.

Of course, I would be looking for a unit with a humidistat.

Any advice would be most welcome.

If anyone could recommend a specific model that they have used satisfactorily, with any plus or minus points, I would greatly appreciate it.
lvercaut

Re: Any advice on room humidifier?

Post by lvercaut »

Hi David,

i have a Kemble K121CL on order (delivery date ? february 2010 :-( ).
After reading the article too, i ordered today :

- Boneco 2231 (steam) humidifier.
- Boneco 7254 Thermo/Hygroreader.

I think i made a good choice with this combo.

greatings from Antwerp,
lvercaut
lvercaut

Post by lvercaut »

Oh yes... the 2231 has a built in humidistat .
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Many people on the pianoworld forum swear by the Venta range of humidifiers (made in Germany I think). They are made in three sizes and work by blowing air across rotating discs that are partially immersed in water. One of the posters on that forum also said they had been recommended to him by one of the German piano makers. There doesn't appear to be a UK distributor for this brand but they are obtainable through a third party seller on Amazon UK.

The Boneco 2055, 2055D has a similar design and is easily obtainable in the UK.