Help with 'clicky key' on Kawai upright

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Amazoman

Help with 'clicky key' on Kawai upright

Post by Amazoman »

Hello all,
Any suggestions appreciated.
Had a Kawai K2 for approx two years for my son. Beautiful piano and everything fine up until today. Two notes at the top end of the board C and D have developed a noise on their release which can only be described as a 'click'. The note being played is not affected ie it sounds good not muffled or anything like that and if you don't just release the key ie. if you control its return no problem. But simply taking your finger off produces the click. Only on those two keys.

It has been tuned three times in the two years, most recently a couple of months ago so I dont really want to get him back if it is a simple solution I can fix.
What do you think?

Thanks
vernon

Re: Help with 'clicky key' on Kawai upright

Post by vernon »

two cushion felts have dropped off.
Easy job
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

vernon wrote:two cushion felts have dropped off.
Easy job
With them being at the top end have you seem moths in the house over summer - cushion felt is the first they go for and normally in the top treble. Get your tuner in PDQ and get him to look for moth infestation to be on the safe side. as well as fixing

Barrie
Psycho Pianoman
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Psycho Pianoman »

Does seem strange that 2 cushion felts almost side by side would come off at the same time. Hope it's not a mouse as they tend to want to come indoors for a bit of heat at this time of year. eek!
"Scream if you wanna go faster!"

Brodmann and Wendl & Lung agents.

http://www.piano40shop.com
vernon

Post by vernon »

Don't worry about meece.
By now they would have had all the cushions and tapes off and made a nice cosy nest for the Winter as well as weeing on the centresdropping little black pellets to jam the keys.
no worries there

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

vernon wrote:Don't worry about meece.
By now they would have had all the cushions and tapes off and made a nice cosy nest for the Winter as well as weeing on the centresdropping little black pellets to jam the keys.
no worries there
That's right, cheer 'im up! :mrgreen:
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Amazoman

Post by Amazoman »

Thanks all for your responses.
I think I will need to get the tuner back to have a look.
If it were simply a case of gluing the felts back on, if that is what it is, I would do that myself. Only problem is I haven't a clue how to get at them. I assume you have to somehow remove the keyboard to see what is underneath them. Too big a risk for me I'm afraid.
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

Barrie Heaton wrote:
vernon wrote:two cushion felts have dropped off.
Easy job
With them being at the top end have you seem moths in the house over summer - cushion felt is the first they go for and normally in the top treble. Get your tuner in PDQ and get him to look for moth infestation to be on the safe side, as well as fixing.
Barrie, you intrigue me. What's so appealing about the top treble felts, as opposed to the rest?

Also, is there anything one can do to prevent moth attack - use of insecticides/other products for example?
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
vernon

Post by vernon »

The best defence against moth attack is playing the piano. The little varmints can't abide the vibrations unlike some of us ageing tuners.

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

NewAge wrote:

Barrie, you intrigue me. What's so appealing about the top treble felts, as opposed to the rest?

Also, is there anything one can do to prevent moth attack - use of insecticides/other products for example?
Observation over the years and as Veron pointed out the top treble is played the lest, but one other factor no dampers so the most air get to those parts first and moths like dark damp places

Rentokil moth strips £3.50 from B&Q they are about 1m in length and 100mm wide two in a pack tape one to the inside of the top door and one to the bottom door they last for six months no smell I have been advising my clients to use them as there has been a lot of moths this year

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page