Rushworth piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

XR63

Rushworth piano

Post by XR63 »

Hi all, I know people are fed up hearing "what's it worth?" etc but I have a piano that's badged "E. Rushworth, 13 Islington, Liverpool" and all I know is that it's an iron framed upright but all I can find out is about "Rushworth & Dreaper". I also know that thse two entities merged in 1905 but did they change how they badged their pianos to reflect this or did they just carry on badging them with just "E. Rushworth"? Here's hoping someone can shed a little light on my query. Ta, Mick.
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Rushworth piano

Post by Pianomate »

Rushworth and Dreaper were a music supply house who bought in instruments and sold them under their own badge. I expect other more experienced members on the forum will know more, but I expect you will need to look for some more evidence to get an idea of the original maker.
XR63

Post by XR63 »

Hi, thanks for your reply, my main concern is it's age so I'll pull it out and see if there are any identifying marks on it. I've had it a number of years now and it's been just lying there gathering dust and boxes on top of it but I'm reluctant to get rid of it until I get more info on it. Thanks again, Mick
Peter Smith@PSPianos
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Peter Smith@PSPianos »

Hi XR63,

A possible line of enquiry could begin with someone who should know the most....David Rushworth. I spoke with him recently as he now works on behalf of Intermusic. I would suggest you could get him at http://www.intermusic.uk.com

Good luck

:piano;
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

Rushworth had ceased his partnership with Van Gruisen by 1894, and was at the address shown on your piano until at least 1899, possibly until he went into partnership with Dreaper. Have a look at my Datemarks page at www.pianogen.org
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Rushworth's was founded by William Rushworth, a pipe organ builder in Yorkshire. In the late 1800s the company moved to Liverpool. Apparently a piano was sold from the offices, almost by accident, and it was then they decided to sell pianos to the general public. This was the start of the piano retail site. At first pianos were made by Clarence Lyon of London, and not long after Rushworth's began producing classic British pianos alongside their world-famous organ building, which is now in its fifth generation under the leadership of Alastair Rushworth. It has become the largest organ builder in the UK. Around 1921 Rushworth also acquired pianos from Squire & Longsons for £29.00 and resold them for £49 guineas.

In 1969 the piano retail side formed into a separate company. This was after piano production was stopped at the St. Anne Street workshop to allow them to concentrate on organ building.

In 1998 the piano retail side went under major reconstruction under the guidance of David Rushworth, and they have introduced a wider range of overseas pianos. The Rushworth piano is now made for Rushworth's in the Far East and is backed up by Rushworth's in-house service facilities.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
jontyball

William Rushworth

Post by jontyball »

1807 William Rushworth was born in Honley, Huddersfield and baptised 23.10.1807 at High Street Methodist, New Connection, Huddersfield.

1828 He would have finished his apprenticeship.
Circa 1830 He moved to Hulme in Manchester, and married Sarah.
1836 Edwin?
1838 Alfred?
1841 He had a son walter baptised 31.7.1831 at Manchester Cathedral.
1841 In the census, he was living at 52, Clarendon Street, Hulme, Manchester as a journeyman joiner.

1844 Sarah died in 1844.
1851 In the census, William Rushworth, a widower age 42, an organ builder at 12 Birket place, Birket Street, Soho, Islington, Liverpool.

1861 In the census, 13 Islington, Liverpool, William, age 53, formerly joiner- house- organ builder's assistant and Walter, Edwin and Alfred, his sons all at the same trade.

1881 In the census, 13 Islington, Liverpool, Edwin Rushworth, 44 musical instrument dealer employing 2 men and 1 app.

So when you see all the records saying the Rushworths were in Liverpool from 1828 it should read 1844/50 and they are patently incorrect. I now have to try and find out about the Dreapers of Liverpool. Wish me luck, best wishes, John Baldwin, Scarborough.
Bill Kibby

Re: Rushworth

Post by Bill Kibby »

Thanks for sharing your research with the forum, I had to tidy it up a bit because it was very difficult to read, and out of sequence. Barrie didn't say Rushworth was in Liverpool in 1828.

Can you tell us what you meant about Edwin and Alfred in 1836/8? Were they baptised then?

Do you have any clearer idea what "formerly joiner- house- organ builder's assistant" means?
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info