Erard paris

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

2scoops

Erard paris

Post by 2scoops »

Hi all,

Hope you can help me

I have been given an Erard Paris upright piano serial number 69190. Its fairly out of tune but was wondering is it worth getting tuned and what sort of cost would this be. I know this is a bit of a shot in the dark but what sort of value would this piano be.

Sorry about my basic knowledge but as you can tell i know nothing

Any help would be great
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Erard paris

Post by Pianomate »

A typical tune ranges from £30 to £45. It can sometimes require two or more sessions if it is far out of tune, but this depends on the piano itself.

Nobody can answer your question re value without inspecting it no more than they would if your questions were concerning a car you had been given. It is unlikely that anyone will be able to tell you anything other than a possibly a date from the serial number.

Most piano manufacturers made various grades of pianos, from the budget models to the deluxe versions. Value depends on model type, age, current condition, amount required to spend on it to get it in top working order, and desirability to any potential purchasers. You need to ask the piano tuner - they will advise.
2scoops

Post by 2scoops »

Thanks Pianomate ill get it tuned and see what happens
johnfrance

Post by johnfrance »

Hi
Erard are one of the three most respected piano makers in France with Gaveau and Pleyel. The uprights tend to be considerd less well than the grands, the contrary being true of Pleyels, but I have played several Erard uprights and their have a very even sound with good bass sound. From about 1920 on, the uprights have often a third soft pedal which shifts the hammers left so they only strike one or two strings (as with the una corda pedal on a grand). I believe they long had a patent on that, which must have ended as Appolo (an alias for Toyo) pianos have the same system according to my tuner. Could be a way of knowing if your Erard is pre first world war or post...
Probably be well worth tuning anyway. In France a completely restored interwar year Erard would fetch anything up to 5000 euros in a shop. Much less on ebay.
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

2scoops wrote:Hi all,

Hope you can help me

I have been given an Erard Paris upright piano serial number 69190. Its fairly out of tune but was wondering is it worth getting tuned and what sort of cost would this be. I know this is a bit of a shot in the dark but what sort of value would this piano be.

Sorry about my basic knowledge but as you can tell i know nothing

Any help would be great
The number would seem to suggest 1890ish – an old upright Erard.
As already advised it may be an idea to get it tuned, but if this hasn't been done in years it may not even result in a 'playable' piano for long - but as this was donated to you, I hope it gives you at least a little playing pleasure.
I'm not sure why it is but I cannot recall ever seeing a piano being given-away in France. Even the most tatty specimen - of whatever make - would be on offer in a private sale from a few hundred euros upwards.
Most owners appear to think, if it's old it's worth something, and whilst that may be true about my old granny, it's not generally the case for most upright pianos.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"