Pianos & Autism

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

wheaten

Pianos & Autism

Post by wheaten »

Hello, first post for me.

My 6 year old son is autistic and through school recently, has really taken a liking to having a go on the piano. Anyone else out there have experience where the piano has helped reach an autistic child/adult?...would love to hear about it.

Thanks.
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Pianos & Autism

Post by NewAge »

I have no experience in this domain, except to say that I recall reading that a number of autistic children are known to be fine musicians.
As a piano is a great 'hands-on' instrument, it has certainly attracted some autistic children & adults.
The exploits of Derek Paravicini have been documented by several tv programs, Wikipedia describing him as a blind autistic savant and music prodigy - he just being one of several.
These links may also be of interest.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Paravicini
http://www.sonustech.com/paravicini/index.html

A search in YouTube also provides interesting related information.

I hope you encourage your young son accordingly with the piano, and I wish him success. If you as parents are non players, if you start too this should encourage & stimulate him even more.
Good luck.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
wheaten

Post by wheaten »

Thanks for the reply. Yes, he has begun watching people play on you tube and seems really keen to know more. I`ll definitely keep encouraging him as it will be a great route into his way of thinking and for ud to find a fun middle ground for learning. :D
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
wheaten

Post by wheaten »

Much appreciated!

I'd be keen to get trained to play. In your opinion, which is a better way to learn; using the online piano tutorials such as those offered by rocketpiano, piano for all, http://www.easypianotutorial.infoetc or going down the route of private lessons? I live in a rural area so the chances of there being a tutor around here would be quite slim I'd think....

Thanks again for the video links.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

People with autism seemed to be attracted to playing an instrument. There is a myth that autistic people can neither express nor feel emotion or empathy. In my experience its that autistic people often can't control how much to feel or react to their emotions. Often, the best way for someone autistic to express themselves is through music.

In my own case, I wouldn't consider myself autistic or asperger's, but, it does take a certain type of personality to be able to cut one's self off from society and practice for hours on end, giving up a social life in the process. When I was at school, music was a refuge for me, and I would imagine that for many people on this forum that was the case.

I teach a young boy who is obviously asperger's, although the parents haven't had him diagnosed (which is a mixed blessing either way) and he thrives on the piano. If only he could focus his mind a little more, he'd be musically dangerous!

There have been many many great musicians who have been on the autistic spectrum. If we read back into history we can see that most of the great composers have traits of it!
wheaten

Post by wheaten »

Yes, my son seems to take to the rythmn and logical timing of it all so as long as he's interested, we'll pursue. I think we all have a little autistic in us as after all autism is the greek word for 'daydream' and we all do a little of that from time to time.

I appreciate your response.

Thanks.
Psycho Pianoman
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Psycho Pianoman »

It's such an intense but very interesting subject. I think we all live on the very varying degrees of the autistic spectrum and I like to think of it as the 'The Spectrum Of Normality'. There is a secondary music teacher that I tuned for recently who has an autistic child. he was really good on piano. Will find out more and pass it on if I can. We have a 9 year old son with autism showing great rhythm. The congas went down a treat from Santa last Christmas.
"Scream if you wanna go faster!"

Brodmann and Wendl & Lung agents.

http://www.piano40shop.com
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Yes there is a point. The Spectrum of Normality. I quite agree.

There are some Autistic people who will require extra help through life, and others who may be just a little eccentric and cope quite well.