Yamaha SU131S

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Sweep

Yamaha SU131S

Post by Sweep »

Dear All

In the Yamaha catalogue they describe the SU131S as being "created expressley for the European market."
As I like the build quality of the U3 I have seen but dislike the harshness of the sound, preffering a more mellow tone, does the SU131S get someway closer to my ideal? I would appreciate opinions of the differences of this model to the U3 as the Yamaha catalogue doesn't really go into a great deal of detail, and the website seems to show the same specifiction for both models.
I guess something must be different as the SU131S is 33kg heavier.
So, is the sound of the SU131S on the mellow side with good deep bass, or is it just tuned to European wallets - like the lager "reassuringly expensive" ?

thanks ...Sweep
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Tuned a few of them lately, very nice lot softer than the U3 much richer base the action is more smoth and responsive. I would say the extra weight is in the case parts, as they do seem to be a lot heaver when taking them off

You can get them for 6,229.00

BTW Yamaha are doing some new deals but only form the big dealers they will be rolling them out next week or so, basically you buy your piano from the dealer and take finance out form Yamaha after 3 years they ask you if you wish to keep the piano – upgrade it or even downgrade it, now here the nice part you get all you money back to buy the new one. I believe it may be interest free(But I may be wrong on that interest free bit) and you can get them at the discounted rate as well

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Barrie,
I tried one on these today at the Piano Box in Manchester. The bass was awesome, alomost overpowering. Unfortunatley Harry didn't have a U3 to compare it too but it did sound alot louder than what I remember the U3 sounding. Is this the case or is it just that the sound of the bass is fuller and bigger? Can a piano be too loud? I tried to play it softly but almost couldn't. Is this down to my experience (grade 2 as of today!) and will I overcome this in time, or is it just a louder piano than the U3. My room size is 15'6" x 12'8" x 9' high, and I was concerned that it might be too much. What do you think?

thanks Sweep
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

You can tone them down if you mean bright as to a piano being too loud that depends on who live next door - foam rubber in the back kills the volume the are the top of the range of the Pro range of pianos some will be used in small halls. They are bring out a new upright soon priced around 15K

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

No it definitley didn't seem bright. The treble was very clean, crisp and not metalic, and the bass was full and true just like a grand. It just sounded loud. I have been looking for a piano with just this sound but it just worried me it might be too loud. Maybe I am being deceived by the quality of the sound. I played a grand in the shop and it seemed to sound the same. Loud ...but awesome.

I think I have used up my yearly quota of the word 'loud' now. Oops, used it again!

...Sweep
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The problem for us piano tuners is understanding what the client means by loud someone like yourself mean loud as in volume and other mean bright harsh sound like some one chiselling at bricks in the top treble.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page