Restoring an old piano of unknown quality

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

bean52

Restoring an old piano of unknown quality

Post by bean52 »

Hi everyone.

I have an old upright – probably about 75 – 80 years old. It’s labelled W H Barnes, which I understand was a retailer rather than a manufacturer. It’s overstrung and underdamped but there's no brand name or serial number on the frame that I can see, so I don’t know whether it was made by a reputable firm or not. Three of the keys stick and click, which as far as I can tell is due to missing hammer butt felts. Another one hardly sounds at all and I can see when I look inside that the “jack” is wobbling around loose. I'm hoping to get these things fixed when the technician comes to tune it next week.

These faults aside it has met our needs up until now. However, the action of some of the other keys is a bit variable at best making use of dynamics while playing a bit of a hit and miss affair and as my daughter is now working towards her Grade 1 I'd like to get it sorted out. I'm anticipating that the technician may recommend more extensive repairs/restoration as I don’t suppose it’s had anything done to it other than tuning since it was new. For instance I can see that many of the hammers are quite heavily grooved on the striking part. I know it’s difficult to say with inspecting the instrument but does anyone have any thoughts on the likely feasibility of renovating a piano of this type, and the cost that would be involved. I just thought it would be useful to be forewarned before the tech comes.

By the way I might as well say in anticipation of one piece of advice I’m almost certain to get is that I simply can't find the £1.5 - £2k necessary to replace it – it’s just not an option I'm afraid.

many thanks
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Restoring an old piano of unknown quality

Post by Pianomate »

Your best advice is to ask your technician for advice. It's was probably a decent piano when new if it is overstrung and underdamped. Depends on how much general wear and tear there is. They may be able to improve the hammer felts and repair any damage, or you could get them all done. By the sounds of it, the action probably just needs regulating which would greatly improve the dynamics.

You could also get a few estimates.
jackg
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Restoring an old piano of unknown quality

Post by jackg »

I would put some advert up shop window or in your local comics saying young girl wants piano (lay it on a bit).
There are a surprising number of pianos lying unused in people homes, if they see its going to be put to good use instead of dealer margins you may get something worthwhile for £200 or so.
You might strike lucky with a good one.
Don't forget moving costs minimum of £50 and tuning.
Also if your Barnes has nice veneer or even solid wood, you can sell that for quite a bit.
I read one figure of £150 for some solid oak panels, you can't get wood like this anymore.