PIANO RATINGS

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

danny

PIANO RATINGS

Post by danny »

As a beginner I am looking to buy a second hand piano in the near future (budget of approx &3K). Having visited this and many other sites, there are literally hundreds of makes and models out there. Can anyone advise me of a site/book that lists piano makes/models and then rates them (good and bad points etc)?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

There is the piano book by Larry Fine but it is aimed at the US market books like this do give lots of useful information when buying a new piano, they are of little use on second hand ones – buying a second hand piano is like buying a second hand car all depends on what state it is in, so your local piano tuner is the best person to advise. Not only on the quality of the piano but the local market where to look and where to stay away form

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I've seen a site called something like 'The Virtual Piano Shop' which had a sort of rating system but it was one person's opinion based on (in some cases) only one or two encounters with a piano make. This seemed a little bit open to sweeping generalisations - in 20 years of tuning I have at least learned one thing: no two pianos are exactly alike, even if they are consecutive serial numbers of the same make!
In the end, the choice will be up to you; by all means ask teachers, friends, professional pianists and everyone else's opinion, but as Barrie says, only a tuner can save you from making a costly mistake!