Christiansen mini upright - action problem

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Robak
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Christiansen mini upright - action problem

Post by Robak »

I have a problem with a Christiansen upright that has a Renner drop action. This piano is, I assume, unique in design but possibly not unique in action, and i wonder whether anyone has had any experience with Renner drop actions before. My problem, (I haven't started work on it yet) is that the key wires, (those that run from key down to lever) have an extra guide rail at the treble and bass end which will prevent the action from being removed. Does anyone know whether these guide rails are attached to the underside of the key-frame and if so, will it be simply a case of removing the key-frame. I need to know for pricing reasons. Any info gratefully received.
pianotechman
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Christiansen mini upright - action problem

Post by pianotechman »

I'm not too sure without a picture, but a few of these minis have screws into the key frame from the underside of the bed, that you have to remove and pull the keyboard towards you, OR a metal bracket at each end that you unscrew from the bed and then pull forward. Regulate the dampers, blow and set off BEFORE you re-connect the drop wires/keys, or you'll never get it to play right! good luck.
David Hamilton Smith
Robak
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Re: Christiansen mini upright - action problem

Post by Robak »

Thank you pianotechman, I'm there in two weeks and I'll give it a try.
Robak