witton and witton upright - is it any good ?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

tobycrisp

witton and witton upright - is it any good ?

Post by tobycrisp »

I have just taken on loan this piano and i know it is old , but would like to know its worth and how far i should go in repairs / reconditioning. It needs tuning and a few hammers needing new strings ! i have started to clean myself but dont want to waste time if it is not worth it. It has selfridges name on it, i assume the retailer. I am hoping it may be good enough to help my 11 yr old start on. Thanks in advance any replies
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Witton and Witton piano were not top of the range in the day but they are not bad pianos – your main concern it will the piano tune and tune to A440

The missing string is not a good indication that the piano is in good condition and could have snapped when the piano was last tuned – are they steel strings or covered (bass) ones I would get a tuner to give you a quote for the strings and the tuning and if it is worth the effort

Selfridges is the retailer they are in London

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
tobycrisp

witton and witton

Post by tobycrisp »

Thank you Barrie for your info. Hopefully i havent confused you with my mixed message. The strings that have broken are only the ones ( cords/straps ) connecting the hammer to the pendulum action !!!!
The actual springs are steel ones, and i have now removed the keys/board etc to clean, before the tuner arrives on Thursday. I wonder if you/anyone can also tell me how far someone like me can go in cleaning various parts, as i also understand from my searches through this great site that a dirty piano can also be a health hazard,etc and dont want to mess up anything that i shouldnt touch.
Dust /spiders ! I am a musician and understand enough to be "dangerous " ,so is it best just to stick with a damp cloth and clean as best as i can, or what ?
By the way, to my other reply from Bill, i think i accidentally posted the same initial message by accident ! Once again thanks fo reveryones help in this.
Toby
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

They are called tapes if (you live in the US Bridal tapes) they are quite common repair as to cleaning out the piano, you have removed the keys the big mistake some folk make is the go mad with the vacuum cleaner and suck up all the washers off the pins

Your problem is going to be when you put the keys back in the as the bottom section with no tapes will drop so you will have to be careful not to damage the cushion felt with the jack when putting the key back

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page