New Welmar 120 Upright - wise purchase choice?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Rutlander
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

New Welmar 120 Upright - wise purchase choice?

Post by Rutlander »

We are looking to buy a new piano and have been looking at the likes of the Kawai K2, Yamaha P114 and Kemble Concerto. We have found a lovely sounding and looking new Welmar 120 upright which appears very keenly priced - £500 or so pounds more than the above. My concern is I cannot find much info about the current Welmars. I understand they are part of the Petrof stable but cannot find Petrof owning up to the fact. My questions are: Why can I find no info on the Welmar? Is the build quality of Petrof standards? Will the Welmar retain its value well? Is it a good purchase option relative to the other pianos mentioned above? Appreciate any help you can provide.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: New Welmar 120 Upright - wise purchase choice?

Post by PianoGuy »

Rutlander wrote:We are looking to buy a new piano and have been looking at the likes of the Kawai K2, Yamaha P114 and Kemble Concerto. We have found a lovely sounding and looking new Welmar 120 upright which appears very keenly priced - £500 or so pounds more than the above. My concern is I cannot find much info about the current Welmars. I understand they are part of the Petrof stable but cannot find Petrof owning up to the fact. My questions are: Why can I find no info on the Welmar? Is the build quality of Petrof standards? Will the Welmar retain its value well? Is it a good purchase option relative to the other pianos mentioned above? Appreciate any help you can provide.
AFAIK, the brand name of Welmar is now owned by Intermusic as part of their reparations when the British Piano Manufacturing Co went into receivership, Intermusic being a major creditor. They certainly acquired the rights to the BPMC names of Bentley and Knight, those names respectively being used on inexpensive digital pianos and violin strings, but I am only guessing that they also now own Welmar, but it's an educated guess. Seeing as Intermusic also import Petrof, it's not inconceivable that they've got that company to build Welmar branded pianos for them, and if that's the case I'd expect them to be rebadged Petrofs rather than new designs. I have never seen any nor have any info on them.

I make no secret of the fact that I dislike Petrof. Old Communist designs with a marginally better build quality than in the Stalinist days and a massive price hike. Faced with the above choice I would go for the Kemble without a shadow of doubt.
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
Rutlander
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Rutlander »

Thanks PG. It is a lovely piano though, apparantly built by Petrof with their internal mechanisms, etc. The cabinet is different though. The resolution is excellent. The overall build quality does appear very good. The only other new Welmar i can find is at
http://www.marksonpianos.com/specials/Welmar118.jpg
and is a lot more expensive to boot. We really like the piano but are mostly concerned with residuals given that the business went bust, etc.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Rutlander wrote:Thanks PG. It is a lovely piano though, apparantly built by Petrof with their internal mechanisms, etc. The cabinet is different though. The resolution is excellent. The overall build quality does appear very good. The only other new Welmar i can find is at
http://www.marksonpianos.com/specials/Welmar118.jpg
and is a lot more expensive to boot. We really like the piano but are mostly concerned with residuals given that the business went bust, etc.
I'd be concerned too. Not because Welmar went bust, but Petrof residuals are hardly anything to shout about in any case. If it's fitted with a Czech Detoa action, I'd expect it to be troublesome and I'd steer clear, but if it has a Renner it'll likely be OK.
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
Rutlander
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Rutlander »

PG - Damn fine question that! Thanks. We looked at a Petrof in the showroom and that had been upgraded from a Detoa (to a Renner or something?) because of their troublesome nature. I'll go back on Monday and ask the Renner question. I think Petrof have moved away from the Detoa on all their piano's now.
I've read one or two questionable reviews about the Kemble Concerto. Do you feel that (other than the style) this is a better all round instrument to the Oxford Contemporary? We found the Oxford resonance to be very strong / bright given the size of the piano. It outshone the K2. Is the Concerto as good or better in your view? Thanks PG
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Rutlander wrote: I've read one or two questionable reviews about the Kemble Concerto. Do you feel that (other than the style) this is a better all round instrument to the Oxford Contemporary? We found the Oxford resonance to be very strong / bright given the size of the piano. It outshone the K2. Is the Concerto as good or better in your view? Thanks PG
They're certainly very comparable, since they are based on the same action and frame, so you may find examples of each that you like or dislike, since they all vary a bit. What you have detected is likely to be just variation between examples.

I quite like the Concerto, but I far prefer the 121 Cons!
PG

Rutlander
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Kemble Conservatoire / Concerto

Post by Rutlander »

PG - many thanks, your opinion is very valuable and most welcomed.

I will check on the Welmar action but think we have ruled it out. We did like the size (120cm) and sound of this piano but i am concerned about where the Welmar brand sits moving forward. I suspect they may have made one batch run of these at Petrof and that will be it.

Yes, the Conservatoire looks to be a lovely instrument and would fit nicely in our room - despite it's larger frame. I will enquire about the price at the shop but i suspect it will be the wrong side of £4k to purchase new - especially as it has to be in black. Think we will have to do with it's baby sibling!
Rutlander
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Rutlander »

PG - just to give you an update. Going back to the piano shop we were not keen on the Concerto sound. The Welmar (Petrof) provided a lovely, softer tone. However, the Conservatoire was in stock and packed such a powerful punch we were hooked on it. A beautiful cabinet too. At 124cm it's a big instrument but it should fit nicely and, hopefully, will be a piano that the family will grow up with!
Once again thanks for your help and advice.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

The Conservatoire is a blinder!

You'll love it!
PG

ATG
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by ATG »

As a Conservatoire owner I second that.
piano kate
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by piano kate »

I bought a Kemble Conservatoire last year and I love it!