Old - but pretty - piano question

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Sammjane

Old - but pretty - piano question

Post by Sammjane »

I've kept an old birdcage action piano (Blankenstein) for several years because I'm quite attached to the woodwork. From all my inquiries it is unlikely that it is tuneable/playable.

I'm hoping to find information / ideas on the possibility of this piano ever being playable. Has anyone ever converted one of these old cases to an alternate style? I hate the idea of it being dumped when it is such lovely craftmenship. But it's getting a bit ridiculous having a piano that can't be played.

Thank you!
Samantha
vernon

Post by vernon »

Samantha
Direct your enquiries towards a competent technician and you may find your piano is both playable and tuneable, albeit not to the highest standards.
Some tuners are a bit sniffy about them and refuse to touch them altho' thev've not seen them.
Yesterday I tuned a 1930's straight strung Kemmble, which played well and was just above BS pitch and standing well. Touch and tone not much to write home about.
good luck
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

American tuners often have a bit of a thing about overdampers (or 'birdcage' actions). There's nothing wrong with them, but rather than have to tune one, it's eAsier to say the piano is untunable. Get a member of the Piano Technician's Guild out (visit their website - I don't know how to do links, but you can google it); they're all well qualified and will bve more than capable of tuning an overdamper. Good luck!
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Pianomate »

If even a competent technician used to birdcage actions says it is untuneable, you could have a Pianodisc Quiettime system fitted, thus converting it to a digital piano. I have heard of this is quite popular to have it done on untuneable antique instruments in the US but have never seen one here.
pianotechman
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Old - but pretty - piano question

Post by pianotechman »

I'm hoping to find information / ideas on the possibility of this piano ever being playable. Has anyone ever converted one of these old cases to an alternate style?

Everything is possible,[exept changing a 'straight strung to an overstrung] it just depends to what expense you are prepared to go! It could have a new laminated tuning plank fitted and be re-strung to make it 'rock stable' on the tuning. The overdamper action could be replaced with a new underdamper, fitting a new set of hammers,you MAY even be able to keep the original keys, although the type of adjustment at the back of the key would have to be adapted to the new action. Here's the rub...that amount of work and the new custom made parts will probably total £2-3,000! so not really worth it unless you are REALLY attached to the piano, or have just one the lottery.
David Hamilton Smith
Bill Kibby

Re: Old - but pretty - piano question

Post by Bill Kibby »

Blankenstein made some variable uprights, including transposing ones, but such old pianos are raely worth the cost of proper restoration. If it is a worthwhile piece of furniture, one option is to rip the innards out and put an electronic piano in there. I hate to see history destroyed, but if it saves the case, that's something.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info