How good is an oblique strung Bechstein 1904 upright?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Geoff

How good is an oblique strung Bechstein 1904 upright?

Post by Geoff »

I own one of these and I love the sound - how much better are the overstrung Bechstein uprights of the same peroid?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

A lot better for one in the basses, they are better because the strings are longer. Second the dampers are better because they have fly dampers in the bass providing some clueless tuner has not cut them off. Then there is the repetition spring on models 8 and 9 which when set up correct make the repetition close to a grand but still not as good.

However, Bechstein model 7, 8 and 9 are prone to lose tuning pins and the 1920 models tend to have a lot of drag on the strings so if you have to keep pitching tem. they are more prone to stings breaking I must have changed more strings on Bechsteins then any other make.

Barrei,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Geoff

Hi Barrie

Post by Geoff »

Hi Barrie - thanks for your response. Would it be worth having the low bass strings twisted and do you rate oblique strung Bechsteins?
Geoff
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Twisting bass string only works on buzzing string. Tubby stings have to be replaced well in the days when labour was cheaper than the materials they use to take of the bass strings and boil them in soda water for one hour, how good it was I don’t know but you run the risks of them breaking when you pull them up as you do when you twist strings.

They are not bad pianos they are getting on a bit I do have a few on my round that have better basses then some modern pianos and I have restored a few over the years not restring one for over 15 years the last one I did is now in Spain. Well that is where the client moved to.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page