Samick Grand NSG 186

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

musicinme
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Samick Grand NSG 186

Post by musicinme »

Piano lessons are now are priority for me. After enjoying hearing classical music, inside is a longing to one day play my own classical favourites Any advise would be welcomed on athe piano, as yet not viewed by me.

At a reduced price because it was damaged during shipping. The mark has been repaired but other marks are evident.

The most damage is a mark on the side of the piano case near keyboard area. On the bottom of lid that covers the piano keys and above the lid when it is closed.

My concern is that the soundboard may have hidden damage, and this piano retailer will not allow a piano tech inspection. What is the chance of the soundboard possibly cracked because of damage occured during the shipping of this piano.
Can soundboard damage be detected if a piano is played. Are there any obvious signs that would enable me to know if there was soundboard damage.
Not sure if I should let this piano go and look elswhere. What do you think.

New to the forum I would appreciate your help and joined this forum, because it is my opinion the most informative, and most helpful online piano forum. As I read topics on this forum, and it has been for a few months now, some knowledge has be gained by me on piano makes and piano actions, and generally just enjoyed reading about piano purchases from forum members and viewing there pics.

Glad to be a member of this forum
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Samick Grand NSG 186

Post by mdw »

musicinme wrote:My concern is that the soundboard may have hidden damage, and this piano retailer will not allow a piano tech inspection.
I think that probably tells you all you need to know. I suppose like any thing it depends on the price and if you are prepared to take a gamble. Whats the guarantee. Is the business a limited company or sole trader. Lots of ltd companys just fold when the going gets tough. The sole trader has to go personaly bust before he is not liable. Pay for it on credit card then at least you have some help if it all goes wrong. Or theres loads of good stock out there at give a way prices in perfect nick.
pianotechman
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by pianotechman »

If the retailer won't let one of us 'techs' inspect the instrument to see if the damage is only superficial.......it probably isn't!! The left corner of grands often gets damaged in transit if a carrier doesn't doesn't fit a 'shoe' which protects the bass corner when the instrument is turned on its side. This damage does sound a little more extensive however. It's also worth remembering that it is easier to repair casework damage on a traditionaly or lacquered finished piano, than on a bright polyester finish.
David Hamilton Smith
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

pianotechman wrote:It's also worth remembering that it is easier to repair casework damage on a traditionaly or lacquered finished piano, than on a bright polyester finish.
Unless its black polyester :lol: :lol: Hence all the rough inside 2nd hand Yams with imaculate cases.
vernon

Post by vernon »

why won't he dealer let a tech inspect it?
Jolly fishy to me.
musicinme
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Samick Grand NSG 186

Post by musicinme »

Thankyou for all your replys, Persistent Poster your advise is worth considerable thought and I have decided to look elswhere. I have been looking for a piano for months, hoping to find apiano bigger than 5ft so my search has commenced 5ft 6 at least. Used, vintage, already with some restoration work, new pianos, and never did I think when I commenced looking for a piano that it would take such a long time. Using this forum as a guide on different makes of pianos was most helpful.

Moderator the retail store is huge, and there selling this piano as New, reduced in price because of damage during shipping. Selling New as opposed to Used is why.

Used piano, a piano tech could look it over within this same store. Auction rooms, do allow piano technicians to look at pianos for prospective bidders.

You just need another opinion or opinions when you have looked at many pianos, as the biggest mistake is to rush because your thinking bargain. Impulse buying is what I have gained in knowledge from visiting this forum prior to becoming a member, and it is not wise to do.

Played the ivories on Steinway M but the price was too high. Wow, it was over 70 years of age, and needed some tech work, that was pleasurable.

I am not a UK resident, but those who are experienced piano techs, who offer advise on this forum, and those who share experienced good or bad in purchasing a piano, and the piano history on this forum, this information shared between members is a valuable rescource, and of course Larry Fines bOOk, so thanks folks for your replies, and if there is any other other assistance I need or when I have purchased a piano, you will all be the first to know.