euphona

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

marie

euphona

Post by marie »

Hi,
I have a beautiful Euphona piano that I just adore. It's missing the playing mechanism but other than that, it is in excellent shape. We are currently living in the Caribbean and may be moving to Northern Ireland. I received it as a gift some years ago from a collector with the intent to learn how to play piano. Now I am faced with a decision- do I ship this with us or do I try to sell it here and buy a used upright of some sort there. I have no idea what used pianos cost in the UK so I don't know which would be more economical and practical. To tell you the truth, I am rather emotionally attached to this piano but I am also a realist.
Any advice?
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

its missing the playing mechanism?
how do you know what it sounds like? If you need to buy a new mechanism, which will probably have to be bespoke made as its an unknown make, that will cost you more than a new piano!

I'd say leave it there and buy something nice when you get to Ireland
pianotechman
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by pianotechman »

I think Marie means it's an ex-pianolla piano and is missing the 'player chest' rather than the action!.
I would advise her to leave the instrument behind, especially if the case is large, as most pianollas were. Wait 'till she gets to Ireland to get another piano, which will be used to the country's humidity, rather than bringing one from the Carribean....just make sure she doesn't buy a second-hand 'Lindner', ehh chaps!
David Hamilton Smith
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

its missing the playing mechanism?
I'm glad Joseph raised that; I was wondering the same thing but didn't have the nerve to ask :D
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer