Windover Grand Piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

jcommand

Windover Grand Piano

Post by jcommand »

Hello,

I am a piano technician who is researching the age of a 5'-0" Windover Grand. It sustained water damage in a recent wind storm here in Houston,Texas. I need information about the age of this instrument for an insurance bid I am working on. I have a piano restoration shop in the Houston area.

I have looked the name 'Windover' up in my Pierce Piano Atlas. This atlas lists mostly American made pianos...but sometimes has makers from other countries. There is a listing for Windover indicating the manufacturer as Smith of London & Manchester. However, no serial numbers or manufacturing dates are listed under the heading.

The serial number is 45399. This piano has a Schwander action. I would like to know when this piano was manufactured. Any additional information about the manufacturer, quality of the instrument, etc. would be of interest as me and my customer as well.

My Best,

Jim in Houston, Texas
Jim Commander
Fine Piano Restorer
Bill Kibby

Windover

Post by Bill Kibby »

If the grands followed the same sequence as the uprights, it would be 1926. Windover upright piano #45700 is dated 24.1.26 on the iron frame. If you can give me the Schwander number, I may be able to cross-check that one too. Smith certainly did not make Windover, have a look at the opening paragraphs of my Numbers page at my own website www.PianoGen.org

There is also a reference to Windover on the Piano Names page there.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
jcommand

Windover Grand Piano

Post by jcommand »

Thanks for your help Bill! The date of manufacture you've given seems right to me.

The build quality of the Windover grand I am looking at has a lot of the same qualities as many 1920's & 1930's pianos I restore. This piano has a solidly built cabinet and bracing with beautiful veneers that you don't see any more. This one has ivory keys that are in excellent condition. The soundboard is in good condition and tuning pins aren't loose.

The fact that it doesn't have a wood frame action....but has a Schwander action also would seem to square with the manufacturing date you gave me. The Schwander action is a big plus as parts are readily available for that action in the states. I can new get wips and hammers and match the existing geometry with new parts if need be.

Just for my own information, what do you know about the reputation for build quality, tone and playability of these pianos? Was the Windover a serious piano or just a pretty face?

My Best,

Jim
Jim Commander
Fine Piano Restorer
Bill Kibby

Windover

Post by Bill Kibby »

I have no experience of their grands, the uprights seem average or a little better for the period, not top makers, but certainly superior to many! Now, many of the wrestplanks / pinblocks have seen better days.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
jcommand

Windover Grand Piano

Post by jcommand »

Thanks so much for the info. By the way, my wife and I will be visiting the U.K. this summer...our first time. Plans include time in Durham, Bath and London...are you close to any of those locations? Maybe we could meet at a pub near you.

Jim
Jim Commander
Fine Piano Restorer
Bill Kibby

PHC

Post by Bill Kibby »

I thought we'd had summer? Email me! If you go to Bath and then aim for the opposite side of the country, you'll be close.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
pianobrereton
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by pianobrereton »

Windovers were built by the British piano manufacturing company and i would say above average quality . If you are going to recondition this piano it should be well worth the effort as they usually turn out very well . Incidentally in east sussex near to seven sisters is a hill where there is a figure carved of a man with outsteached arms holding two staffs , called the long man of wilmington. I beleive it is the largest hill figure in Europe . The hill that this figure stands is Windover hill , I don't know if there is any connection . I have a WIndover pianola and it is a fine instrument I have also reconditioned others in the past , but not a grand.