Morel piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Simo

Morel piano

Post by Simo »

Hi everyone.
I'm new here and hoping to gain some info about the "Morel" name.

I have a piano that belonged to my Grandmother that is assumed to be around 50 years old.

It was purchased in Melbourne Australia, but believed to be imported from the UK.

I've googled the name with absolutely no luck :(

Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

Thank You,

Simon
Bill Kibby

Morel

Post by Bill Kibby »

Allans, Australia, were sole agents for Morel, that's all I know. Allans published a book about their history, perhaps that would help if you can find it.

1976 'The Music Sellers' by Peter Game, Melbourne, Hawthorne Press, 1976, is a history of Allans' company, now one of the major music publishers and instrument retailers in Australia. There is a copy of the book at State Library and although it is out of print, Allans Publishing
(<http://www.allanspublishing.com.au/>) may be able to trace a copy. As far as I know, Allans did not manufacture pianos, but the book may offer some useful information about those who did.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Simo

Post by Simo »

Thanks Mate.

I've been in touch with Allens in Melbourne, and a lovely lady there is doing her best to help me out, but it seems there is very little info around so your help with the book title could be invaluable.

If I manage to find out more I will post the results here in case anyone else is in the same boat.

Cheers Bill,

Simon
alexalin
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Moral Piano

Post by alexalin »

Hi, Well i belive every one is new for music because music is an occasion.Coming to your point i am shocked that the piano which is with you it's around 50years old.It would be better to get the information from where you brought it from staring to end.
Bill Kibby

Morel

Post by Bill Kibby »

I am sorry I cannot understand your English so I have no idea what you are trying to say! Why are you shocked? And what is the staring about?
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
mike1374

Re: Morel piano

Post by mike1374 »

in regard to simos question about morel pianos i may have some useful info. i have a morel piano which is believed to be around 100 years old. having removed the front, which is removable by the way, its labelled as morel, new york. then also states that alans@co of melboune are sole agents. inside the piano its labelled as morel "L" ny. now upon further internet research ive discovered that the L stands for laffargue, or so i believe. this is an american piano manafacturer. the text in which i found this info is "the piano", a history. by cyril ehrlich.copyright 1976, 1990. reprint 2000. hopefully this may be of some help. as we are in the same situation as yourself.