Piano keys sticking

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

fudd44

Piano keys sticking

Post by fudd44 »

Hi.
I have just got a Rowland Bros upright piano but a lot of the keys dont pop back up once they have been pressed down. Also some of the notes dont make a sound even if the keys are pressed down pretty hard.
Does anyone know what it could be and how to solve it?
Thanks
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Piano keys sticking

Post by mdw »

fudd44 wrote:Hi.
Does anyone know what it could be and how to solve it?
Thanks
Yep.
Call you local tech.
vernon

Post by vernon »

He'll fix it in minutes
fudd44

Post by fudd44 »

I would like to do it myself so thats why i was asking anyone to see if they know what could be done
vernon

Post by vernon »

The possible causes are too numerous to list.
If you want to have a go, take a close look to see if it is a)the hammer sticking, b) the bits between the hammer and the key sticking or c) the keys sticking.
It's likely to be all three.
The answer is to pay a tech who will tell you instantly
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

fudd44 wrote:I would like to do it myself so thats why i was asking anyone to see if they know what could be done
It could be a few things some simple to fix others not or a combination.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
pianotechman
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by pianotechman »

As a good many posters say, you probably have a number of problems, Firstly, are the keys that 'stick down' catching on the front 'slip rail'? if so you may be able to unscrew the warped rail from the underside of the keybed and pack it with a thin piece of veneer or card to throw it away from the key fronts. Or plane it if it's really bad. The notes that don't sound could well be tight centre pins/broken tie tapes. You will need a 'Tech' for those problems I think.
David Hamilton Smith
alexalin
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by alexalin »

Hi,
I understood your problem,if anything doesn't work properly we get frustration on it.I have one suggestion to you ,that please make sure that dust or moisture doesn't stick to the keys,if so clean it with dry cloth or duster or by vacuum cleaner.. If the error still exists please let me know thanks..
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

Or call your local tech!!!!

Its quite easy to cause all sorts of problems on a piano by buggering about with it if you dont know what you are doing. If its a pile of junk go for it if not hold fire and get someone who knows what they are doing to sort it for you properly. Once a diyer has been at a piano it very often takes 2-3 time the labour to sort out the mess.
alexalin
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

To: Piano keys sticking

Post by alexalin »

Hi, Its really a big headache to solve the problem.Humidity causes wooden piano parts to warp or swell and is often the culprit behind sticking keys. Start by evaluating the problematic key. I think you must have a good guide to resolve the problem .
alexalin
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by alexalin »

Hi, sticking of piano keys is common problem but rectifying is really major problem, i come to know that applying the liquid or spirit can solve the problem for only temporary to fix the problem permanently wont use liquid. go for the expert .
alexalin
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by alexalin »

Hi, sticking of piano keys is common problem but rectifying is really major problem, i come to know that applying the liquid or spirit can solve the problem for only temporary to fix the problem permanently wont use liquid. go for the expert .
alexalin
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by alexalin »

Hi,
Ohh! really, how it can happen? It's better to show it to the bet piano master may be he/she help you out..Thanks!