Kawai K3 or Yamaha B3

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Rane

Kawai K3 or Yamaha B3

Post by Rane »

Hello all,
I'd like someone to help me with my dilemma.
I have to decide between Kawai K3 and Yamaha B3 as they are in my budget, and I want a new piano.
I have had the opportunity to try the Kawai K3 but not the Yamaha B3.
has anyone had the opportunity to try both and give me their opinion on which one is better? If no one has tried them, I would be very grateful if you could give me your opinion anyway.

Thank you ever so much
R
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

K3. The B3 is OK but sounds a bit 'dead' compared to the Kawai.

Better than either would be a Kemble 121 Classic or Mozart.
vernon

Post by vernon »

K3
DMathew
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by DMathew »

I too am in the same boat but choosing between the U1 and the K3. From reading in alot of the forums the U1 gets better praise.

I think i'm decided on the K3 (with silent option). The sound to me is alot sweeter than the U1's that i've tried to date. I don't know if the build quality is as good as the U1 but it does look good to my completely untrained eye.

From what i've read on the forums the Petrof is one to steer clear from.

I personally didn't like the sound of the few kembles i tried (121 classic) But their sound was more appealing than the Yamahas I tried (haven't been able to find a Mozart yet.)
genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

K3 over a B3 any day.

As for differences between K3 and U1, I think both are fine pianos, the U1 is far better known because unlike Kawai, Yamaha don't seem to feel the need to completely reinvent their model number system so regularly. the K3 is part of the relatively new K series, redesigned from the old K50,K60, K80 etc to being K5, K6,K8. Not in the least confusing!!

Happy shopping.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

genaa wrote:K3 over a B3 any day.

As for differences between K3 and U1, I think both are fine pianos, the U1 is far better known because unlike Kawai, Yamaha don't seem to feel the need to completely reinvent their model number system so regularly. the K3 is part of the relatively new K series, redesigned from the old K50,K60, K80 etc to being K5, K6,K8. Not in the least confusing!!
Agreed. b1/K3 = no contest. K3 every time.

Bring the U1 into the forum and I'd go for the U1. It's better built than the b3 and has an infinitely superior soundboard and casework structure, and I prefer the tuning stability over the Kawai.

The old confusion over Kawai model names and numbers was due to dreadful marketing and planning on Kawai's part, and the pianos were notably poorer than their Yamaha counterparts, with gimcrack bits of plastic masquerading as polyester coated wood in the casework. They creaked too.

The current range gives Yamaha a good run for their money on the build quality front and are at last a worthy alternative, but beware residual values of Kawai which are shaky compared to Yamaha. The various importers of old Japanese pianos always have to charge less for a Kawai than a similar sized Yam because the brand recognition isn't there.

Paradoxically, in an attempt to reduce manufacturing costs of the b3, the casework is as creaky as an older Kawai!
Rane

Post by Rane »

As you don't have any doubt about it, I think I will go for the K3 with silent option, Kawai's silent option is much better too than Yamaha's one and I think it's going to be a good investment.

Thank you very much, your opinions have been extremely useful for me to make a decision.

Rane
Grenache
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Grenache »

Hi Rane,

Make sure you're happy with the feel of the K3 with the silent option - just in case you've played a K3 without. I found the touch very heavy - in fact too heavy for my liking.

I chose the U1 silent.

Best regards

G