So, what did I buy?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

So, what did I buy?

Post by Nutroast »

My new baby is a 1985 Marshall & Rose. You told me I should buy the best I could afford and this really blew the budget, but it's an absolute peach. It arrives next week and I'm excited beyond excited!

Thank you all for your advice and for putting up with dumb questions from me. I'll certainly be boring you with my progress and more questions!

Gill the Piano, I hope you approve :?: :)

xx
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

As long as it's not a Lindner or Eavestaff mini, I approve! :)
Congrats on the new baby; find out what it weighs and put an ad in the local paper announcing your happy event...that should cause a stir...
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: So, what did I buy?

Post by PianoGuy »

Nutroast wrote:My new baby is a 1985 Marshall & Rose. You told me I should buy the best I could afford and this really blew the budget, but it's an absolute peach. It arrives next week and I'm excited beyond excited!
You probably have done better than you realise. An '80s Marshall & Rose is a rebadged Welmar, and 1985 was a very good vintage. Hope you have happy times.
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Congrats on the new baby; find out what it weighs and put an ad in the local paper announcing your happy event
I've never really understood why people publish the weight of babies. It's not like they do it when you die, is it? Imagine that: "Mr Openwood passed away last night after another depraved evening of orgiastic excess. 14 stone 10lbs."
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Well thank God they don't! :)
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Well thank God they don't! :)[/quote]
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Well, Mr Openwood, it's because it's an announcement, therefore you have to say something and what, exactly, do you know about this short person apart from gender, time of arrival and weight? I guess you may know name or colour, but they're usually optional.

It's also the only time in your life when you'd be happy (or have not have the option) to have your weight included, so best make the most of it. I love your idea of the obit including it. Maybe a marriage could include the combined sum?

xx
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Dear God, NO!!!
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

....there are only so many numbers available, not enough for many scottish couples to combine their weight!
pianotechman
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by pianotechman »

You'll have one of the bestM&R pianos out of the Welmar factory....alas it exists no more :(
David Hamilton Smith
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Hello Pianotechman, Uxbridge is my old stamping ground!

Yes, I'm still very pleased with what I bought. It was tuned 3 weeks after I bought it and, to be honest, could do with tuning again now, but I'll probably hold off until the New Year. It is a lovely piece of work and I hope I can do it justice.

It's a shame these manufacturers are no more.

Jan