JOHN BRINSMEAD PIANO (SER 52127)

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

danny

JOHN BRINSMEAD PIANO (SER 52127)

Post by danny »

I have an opportunity to purchase a John Brinsmead piano (serial number 52127) in the next couple of days. I don't know yet whether it is straight or overstrung; if it turns out to be straight strung, is it still worth considering? (most of the advice on this site advises against buying straight strung instruments).

Subject to my initial impressions, I have asked a local piano tuner to have a look at it, but I would really appreciate the advice of the site's experts before going any further with this venture.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The serial number dates the piano c1905 it’s all down to tone an over strung should have a better bass tone as it will have longer strings for that size of piano the other factor is the action most straight strung, piano have over damping which is not as efficient

Conceder this if the price is OK the Tuner says it will tune hopefully to pitch, you like the tone and it plays OK then buy it. I have quite a few clients who have straight strung pianos and have passed there grade 8 most are happy with their pianos

Most if the had the option of a new U5 or a 100 year old piano for the same price would go for the U5 there are those who would have the 100 year old piano because it looks nicer quite a lot of straight strung, pianos out there have more life in them than some of the new rubbish that has hit the market in the last 20 years

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
danny

Post by danny »

Many thanks for your response and advice.

The asking price is &500.00 (or near offer)which appears, on the face of it, to represent very good value (this is obviously subject to a tuner's comments/approval/costs and any tuning/refurbishment costs).
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

If it is an over strung then yes it is a good price in a shop up north a over strung Brinsmead like the one on the Brinsmead history page will go for 900 to 1200 depending on the retail outlet if it is a Vert then no not so good a price that is what you would pay in a shop for a Vertical strung piano

http://www.uk-piano.org/history/brinsmead_photos.html

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page