white to black?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Steve071261
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

white to black?

Post by Steve071261 »

Hi,

is it possible to have a piano which is currently finished in white polyester refinished in black polyester, and if so, does anybody have an estimate of the likely cost to do this to, say a 6' grand?

I ask because I have the opportunity to buy a decent grand at a very reasonable price, but it is white, which is a problem. If the cost of refinishing it wouldn't be outrageous, then I might consider it.

thanks,

Steve.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Yes but it will cost there are only a few places in the UK that do it, there is one in Liverpool and one in the Midlands don’t have the contact details for the Liverpool one but the other one is
www.UK-Piano.org/eric_reynolds/index.html

The polisher I use will re-polish it in Black but not in polyester he is in Darwen
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Steve071261
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Steve071261 »

Hi,

I wouldn't be too concerned about polyester, I just assumed that'd be easiest. If another finish, in black, could be applied easier and cheaper, and would still look good, then I'd be glad of any advice about that, too,

thanks,

Steve.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Your main expense is getting the polyester off, quite a few polishers are using melamine which has the deep shine look of polyester but is not as hard to apply and fix if you chip it

Applying polyester is expensive because of all the health and safety restrictions – you can’t use a normal spray booth it has to be sealed and have lots of scrubbers to clean the extracted air and that is were the cost is - there are health and safety restrictions with all spraying but not as many as there is with polyester that is why there are only a few places that will do it because of the set up and running expense.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Steve071261
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Steve071261 »

Hi again,

thanks for that advice. Do you have contact details for your polisher in Darwen?

cheers,

Steve
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

With out seeing the piano he said &750 to &1000 plus removals give him a call

Paul 07782212972

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page