Which piano should i buy???

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

alilever0
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Which piano should i buy???

Post by alilever0 »

My son's piano teacher wants him to have a "better" piano to sit his Grade 8. We currently have an old Rogers upright which has quite a heavy and uneven action, although I quite like it.
At the moment the choice is an 8 year old Kemble Cambridge for £1500 which has hardly been played - light coloured wood or a second hand Yamaha U1 for £2.150 - black and shiny . The Yamaha looks nicer but both have similar touch. Any advice??
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

If those really are your only two choices then my gut feeling says go with the Yamaha. Its bigger, so should have a wider choice of tone colour, and it will be more robust but of course it depends on how old it is and what condition it is in.

There are other pianos out there by Brodmann, Wendl and Lung and the likes that are in that kind of price range, and I am sure that some people that post here that are in the biz will be able to direct you to the right piano for your needs.

Your Rogers probably was a nice piano in its day and probably has a very nice sound, but for serious playing its time to move onwards and upwards I guess (although I always get a bit misty eyed when i part with a piano!)
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

The Kemble is only a small piano, 112cm i think and the Yamaha is 121cm so this will produce a better sound but it does depend on the age and quality of the Yamaha. Grade 8 is serious and you do need to upgrade ASAP.
Just spend as much as you can afford as this might be a piano your going to have for a long time. Also shop around, visit many piano shops. Dont buy blind, and not off internet. Check warranty and tuning and also regulation service.
The Yamaha U1 is the better choice, the U3 is better but good examples will cost 2800 +.