Reconditioned Yamaha U1?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

MarkW19
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Reconditioned Yamaha U1?

Post by MarkW19 »

I'm thinking about getting a fully reconditioned Yamaha U1H.

Just wondering what anyone's advice is?
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Be cautious.

A U1H is old.

Some info HERE.
Last edited by PianoGuy on 18 Jul 2008, 08:06, edited 1 time in total.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Reconditioned Yamaha U1?

Post by Barrie Heaton »

MarkW19 wrote:I'm thinking about getting a fully reconditioned Yamaha U1H.

Just wondering what anyone's advice is?
depends on what they call fully reconditioned they can change one tape and call it "Fully Reconditioned" what sort of Guarantee are they giving most shop who advertise their pianos on the UK Piano Page give a 5 year one

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
MarkW19
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by MarkW19 »

Thanks guys, I decided not to go for the U1H.

I'm holding out for a U1 with a 3-4m serial number, but they seem hard to find! Most are 2-3m that I've seen.

A piano dealer friend I have has a U1 in, 2.8m, which is the only U1 I've played on. I like it because it's got a very crisp sound, a lot of clarity, compared to a U3 he has (older) that obviously has more bass, but is lacking in the middle/top end, just producing a more mellow/warm sound.

Is this a normal comparison between the 2? He describes the U1 as "exceptional" and that's why it's so crisp.

Also, some U1's seem to have red felt, most green, why is that?
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

If by crisp tone you mean bright sounding then most people on here seem to be in a massive rush to get a tech straight on their Yams to tone them down the moment they have bought them, so exceptional...........no normal ............ yes! :D
MarkW19
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by MarkW19 »

mdw wrote:If by crisp tone you mean bright sounding then most people on here seem to be in a massive rush to get a tech straight on their Yams to tone them down the moment they have bought them, so exceptional...........no normal ............ yes! :D
Well, yes. Bright when you want it to be (controlled by velocity)! Trebly/bright.

I liked the tone of my Yamaha C1 grand (brand new-3 years old), because of the wide variety of sounds possible - if you really dig in, it gives a very defined, "bright", clear tone, which I really like. Equally, playing softer of course allows a more mellow sound. In contrast to many pianos that I've played, which just had a mainly monotonous tone, which little variation.

So, I was pleasantly surprised when looking for an acoustic piano again, to find the Yamaha U1 seem to also have this characteristic.

So, basically, all U1s are like this?

My dealer has a U1 in stock, 2.8m, for £2500. What do you think to that? Or should I be looking for a higher serial number?
MarkW19
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by MarkW19 »

My local piano store just phoned me to say that they have a U1H in, serial 2.7m, only 2 owners, almost as-new, for £2200.

Is this a good deal?

It also has red felt, most I've seen are green...why is this? Also, this is the inside of the piano, which appears to have green felt (with red on the actual keyboard)?!:-

http://www.ultimatebusinesscards.co.uk/f45f_12.JPG

EDIT: I've also seen a U1 for sale, serial 3.7m, for £2150 inc. vat and delivery. What gives, isn't this quite cheap? And is there really any benefit from getting a newer one than that?

Also, am I better getting a 3m U1, as opposed to a new B3?!
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

MarkW19 wrote:My local piano store just phoned me to say that they have a U1H in, serial 2.7m, only 2 owners, almost as-new, for £2200.

Is this a good deal?
How do they know it's only had two owners?

If it's a Jap import (identifiable by a plastic folder on the inside of the top door) they'll have no chuffing idea what its history is, so walk away. If it's a UK-market one and they actually *know*its history it's good value.
MarkW19
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by MarkW19 »

PianoGuy wrote:
MarkW19 wrote:My local piano store just phoned me to say that they have a U1H in, serial 2.7m, only 2 owners, almost as-new, for £2200.

Is this a good deal?
How do they know it's only had two owners?

If it's a Jap import (identifiable by a plastic folder on the inside of the top door) they'll have no chuffing idea what its history is, so walk away. If it's a UK-market one and they actually *know*its history it's good value.
That's what they've told me, no idea how accurate it is. A U1H is still 28-36 years old isn't it, and for £2200...

Would I be better holding out for a 4-5m one for a couple of hundred more, non-H?

Also, why does this one have red felt on the outside (and green on the inside, from the pic?), when most I've seen are green?
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

MarkW19 wrote:
Also, why does this one have red felt on the outside (and green on the inside, from the pic?), when most I've seen are green?
Maroon nameboard felt and green internal felts are usual.
MarkW19
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by MarkW19 »

PianoGuy wrote:
MarkW19 wrote:
Maroon nameboard felt and green internal felts are usual.
Okay, thanks.

Is there a lot to be gained by getting a 4-5m serial number U1, rather than a 2-3m (apart from a bit more resale value). I just want a good instrument, that will last me and not be any trouble, and I don't see many 4-5m on eBay or on piano shops.
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

MarkW19 wrote:
PianoGuy wrote:
MarkW19 wrote:
I don't see many 4-5m on eBay
Selling on ebay gets you the lowest possable price for you piano. Its a bit of a generalisation but most of what I see on ebay is there because you couldnt sell it anywhere else. Ive used it to get rid of px pianos that were too good to scrap but I wouldnt want to sell in the shop. You realy should find a good local dealer nearby and buy from him/her. If you cant afford to lose the £2000 you are gambling then dont buy off the net or ebay sight and sound unseen.
MarkW19
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by MarkW19 »

mdw wrote:
MarkW19 wrote:
PianoGuy wrote: Selling on ebay gets you the lowest possable price for you piano. Its a bit of a generalisation but most of what I see on ebay is there because you couldnt sell it anywhere else. Ive used it to get rid of px pianos that were too good to scrap but I wouldnt want to sell in the shop. You realy should find a good local dealer nearby and buy from him/her. If you cant afford to lose the £2000 you are gambling then dont buy off the net or ebay sight and sound unseen.
Yeah, I appreciate what you're saying. I'm just trying to avoid the margin a dealer will put on the piano, and if my local dealer is anything to go by - selling a 2.5m U1H with loads of surface scratches, for £3250 (and then brought it immediately down to £2500 for me as I know him), it can be a good amount.

I'd also prefer a piano that has just been owned privately from new, rather than going from dealer to dealer, being imported, potentially messed about with, hired out for events, played in store for years, etc.

If I find a good 2.7m U1H, is there a massive advantage to still holding out for a 4-5m one?
MarkW19
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by MarkW19 »

Also, should I be avoiding "reconditioned", if by a dealer?

And, what does "U1A" mean?
MarkW19
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by MarkW19 »

Right, my dealer has a U1A in, 3.7m, at £2500.

I've played it, and it's very nice, and I prefer the action to a newer U10B1 (4.7m) he has in (U10 action a lot lighter), and I also prefer the sound of the U1A (brighter, crisper, more dynamic range).

Is this a good deal? Not sure of history, I assume it'll have had a few owners, and is Japanese market as it has the plastic pocket inside.
MarkW19
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by MarkW19 »

Can anyone advise? :)
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

I am never that concerned with age, just condition, well I hope my wife thinks like that :)
The main points are, do you like it? does it come with a written warranty? ( by law, if it comes with a warranty then you need a warranty so say what it includes and most important, what it dosn't include)
Has is been regulated and will it be tuned after delivery?
The price is about right, might be able to bring it down a little with a flash of cash :)
Let the piano sell itself to you, not by a salesman.
Remember, each piano is different,
Try before you buy, and buy what you try!!
Avoid internet buying as well. You need to play a piano before you buy it unlike some of the customers I am now working for as they bought duff pianos and I am now trying to repair them. New wrest plank in a G2 grand? ouch, lots of money.
MarkW19
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by MarkW19 »

sussexpianos wrote:I am never that concerned with age, just condition, well I hope my wife thinks like that :)
The main points are, do you like it? does it come with a written warranty? ( by law, if it comes with a warranty then you need a warranty so say what it includes and most important, what it dosn't include)
Has is been regulated and will it be tuned after delivery?
The price is about right, might be able to bring it down a little with a flash of cash :)
Let the piano sell itself to you, not by a salesman.
Remember, each piano is different,
Try before you buy, and buy what you try!!
Avoid internet buying as well. You need to play a piano before you buy it unlike some of the customers I am now working for as they bought duff pianos and I am now trying to repair them. New wrest plank in a G2 grand? ouch, lots of money.
Great, thanks for the help! I really do like the piano, yes, and the condition seems great. It's japanese market (has the sleeve inside).

I know the dealer (I teach piano in his shop), and £2500 is apparently his cost. And, as such, he can't provide a warranty per se, but would fix anything if it went wrong.

I much prefer this older U1A, to a 4.7m U10B1 he has in.

So, I guess I'll go for it! :D
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

he is not selling at cost and why is he not giving you a long term warranty of 5 years? You get 1 year by law anyway but I am concerned that he is not giving you more. If the piano is in good condition then there shouldnt be a problem. As you teach piano there, he might think its a sure bet sale. Might want to mention in passing that your going to look at other Yams privately which are a little less money (credit crunch etc) and see if he comes back with a better price but I think its a bit mean anyway.
MarkW19
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by MarkW19 »

sussexpianos wrote:he is not selling at cost and why is he not giving you a long term warranty of 5 years? You get 1 year by law anyway but I am concerned that he is not giving you more. If the piano is in good condition then there shouldnt be a problem. As you teach piano there, he might think its a sure bet sale. Might want to mention in passing that your going to look at other Yams privately which are a little less money (credit crunch etc) and see if he comes back with a better price but I think its a bit mean anyway.
Well, he has the piano marked up in the shop as £3250! And knocked it down to £2500 for me when I asked for a "deal".

I guess the reason he's not giving a warranty is because, if he is selling at cost, he could end up losing money.

And, I thought 1 year warranty by law was just for new goods?
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

as a dealer, i know how much he paid and he is not selling it at cost. Just overinflated price and huge discount when someone takes a liking to it, biggest sales con there is.
nope, all goods
MarkW19
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by MarkW19 »

sussexpianos wrote:as a dealer, i know how much he paid and he is not selling it at cost. Just overinflated price and huge discount when someone takes a liking to it, biggest sales con there is.
nope, all goods
Well, that's interesting. Are we far off probable cost, or just £100-£200?
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

well, I can not say being a dealer, just that I think you can get it down a bit. If you google, there are a number of dealers selling U1a for around 2400 -2700. I just don't like dealers who lie or over inflate prices and offer big discounts.
good luck :)
MarkW19
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by MarkW19 »

sussexpianos wrote:well, I can not say being a dealer, just that I think you can get it down a bit. If you google, there are a number of dealers selling U1a for around 2400 -2700. I just don't like dealers who lie or over inflate prices and offer big discounts.
good luck :)
Okay mate, thanks for the help. I'll go in for £2300, and will be happy with £2400.

Mark