Yamaha U1 and U3

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

MarkW19
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Yamaha U1 and U3

Post by MarkW19 »

I had a Yamaha C1 grand piano up until recently, which I had to sell for financial reasons.

But now, I'm back in the market, and I'm looking for an upright this time (for space reasons as well as money).

I'm deciding between a Yamaha U1 or U3, both secondhand.

Can anyone advise between the two - is the U3 a good step up from the U1 (of a similar age and condition)? I'm looking for a sound as similar to my C1 as possible.

Also, what ages should I be looking at? I'm looking to spend around £2500 - what piano age/serial numbers should I ideally be looking for to get the best piano?

Thanks for any help.

Mark
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

2.5K a bit low for a good one generally.

Up your budget to 3K if you can, and look for 4-5 million range. 5 Million plus even better, but they're getting scarce at this price because exchange rates have nudged prices up.
MarkW19
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by MarkW19 »

PianoGuy wrote:2.5K a bit low for a good one generally.

Up your budget to 3K if you can, and look for 4-5 million range. 5 Million plus even better, but they're getting scarce at this price because exchange rates have nudged prices up.
Thanks. I'd go to £3k if that would get me a good one that's been looked after well.

-I've read that I should be looking at a s/no of 4million upwards, basically no lower than 4? Approx what age would a 4m be?

-Am I right in thinking there's little between a U1/U3 price-wise at this age?

-And, U3 vs U1?
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

4M = 1986

U3 is the better piano, owing to bigger soundboard, better scale design and action geometry, but it's bigger, uglier and less easy to sell on, hence prices are indeed similar.
MarkW19
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by MarkW19 »

PianoGuy wrote:4M = 1986

U3 is the better piano, owing to bigger soundboard, better scale design and action geometry, but it's bigger, uglier and less easy to sell on, hence prices are indeed similar.
Thanks again.

My C1 was brand new...is a (good) piano that is over 20 years old, and looked after, just about as good as new in terms of action/sound/reliability? Do they need any work doing to them at certain periods, and how many more years trouble-free service should I expect to get from it?

Also, the U3 is just taller isn't it, not deeper or wider? I've looked at pics of both the U1 and U3 and they look almost identical...maybe I need to see them in the flesh.
tuna
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by tuna »

The U3 would be about 4cm deeper than the U1.

Overall I would prefer the smaller of the two, but you can find some very good U3's that would beat the pants of a U1.

If you have the time, it would be best to try out as many as you can, as they can vary in quality by significant amounts.
MarkW19
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by MarkW19 »

tuna wrote:The U3 would be about 4cm deeper than the U1.

Overall I would prefer the smaller of the two, but you can find some very good U3's that would beat the pants of a U1.

If you have the time, it would be best to try out as many as you can, as they can vary in quality by significant amounts.
Why do you prefer the smaller? Just because it takes up a bit less room, or because you prefer the sound?

An extra 4cm doesn't matter at all to me, if the piano itself sounds better :-)