taking a piano apart

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

fra

taking a piano apart

Post by fra »

I have recently moved house and cannot get my piano up the stairs into the new flat. It is a Kingston upright piano, straight strung (i think) about 80yrs old, with an iron frame. I can't bear to part with it and I would like to try and take it apart a bit to get it up the stairs. Any advice on how I might do this, is it even possible?
Brumtuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Brumtuner »

Unless it has a 'silent system' and sounds like a Kawaimaha XL5, the only advice you'll get on this forum is to use a sledge hammer.

I'd advise using a disc cutter, personally.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: taking a piano apart

Post by Barrie Heaton »

fra wrote:I have recently moved house and cannot get my piano up the stairs into the new flat. It is a Kingston upright piano, straight strung (i think) about 80yrs old, with an iron frame. I can't bear to part with it and I would like to try and take it apart a bit to get it up the stairs. Any advice on how I might do this, is it even possible?
its not the taking apart its the putting it back have you tried a different removal company Piano Logistics have Cranes on their trucks ans would work out cheaper to take the piano into an upstairs window than pay for it to be taken apart and put back together

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

In extremis it is possible to remove the legs, toe blocks and keybed, but as noted re-assembly is a bit of a task. This has to be done carefully to avoid case damage. Not a do-it-yourself job.