1899 Rich Lipp and Sohn piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

modmamakris

1899 Rich Lipp and Sohn piano

Post by modmamakris »

SERIAL NUMBER 20172
how much could it be worth and
would it be worth restoring?
Bill Kibby

Lipp

Post by Bill Kibby »

Nobody anywhere can guess the valueor condition of a piano without on-the-dspot inspection. Ask your tuner.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
doctorbaz
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by doctorbaz »

Lipps are very highly regarded instruments. The quality of their design and construction are the equal of any of the most famous names in pianos. They have the potential to be excellent instruments once restored, whether grand or upright.

Restoration needs to be done properly, and in a piano this age might be costly. All depends on how it's been cared for in its 100+ years and whether its had any work done before (and this might be a good or bad thing depending on how well it was done!) However once it's complete, you should have a superior instrument on your hands. From the prices advertised on various retailers' websites, you'd pay anything from 2000 - 6000 for a restored post-1890 overstrung upright from a dealer. You don't give the type or size, but an 1899 grand is unlikely to be the commonly-found Lipp 5'1" which I think are around 1910 onwards and sell for 5-9k. Big Lipp grands fairly rare, but I've seen a restored 6 footer advertised for 10k.

Hope that helps!
doctorbaz
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by doctorbaz »

Sorry - just noticed you're in the US. Prices I give above are in UK pounds. Lipps are not that well-known at all in the US I think, so may be more tricky to sell on for a good price.
Bill Kibby

Lipp

Post by Bill Kibby »

It will cost more than two thousand pounds for a full restoration!
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info