Making a new wrest plank

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

jamesp
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Making a new wrest plank

Post by jamesp »

Hi all

... just a quick question on how perfect the fit should be when making a new wrest plank. I have a new block of delignit which I rough-cut to the outline of the old plank and so far I have spent 1.5 days fitting it to the frame. I have spent at least a day of that time chalking the frame, tapping the plank and shaving off the high spots. I know what can happen if you don't get it good enough, but at what point do you stop? I assume that the front edge is the most important (rather than the top edge where the pins are) since it's the front edge which will be transferring the string tension to the frame.

Its a pretty tight fit now, I don't think I could slide even a thin sheet of paper in anywhere, except perhaps right at one end.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Never done it myself but in the US quite a lot of tecs put epoxy resin round the edges on the final fit as insurance against plank rocking

The worst plank I ever did was a Bluthner spent ages routering round them stepped edges and the insets getting them just right for the brass plates then made a mess of the drilling and had to make a new one

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
jamesp
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by jamesp »

Oh no that sounds pretty frustrating!!

Well I guess I will continue on until I just dont think I can do any better. That is the only way I can be sure it will be OK.

Thanks for the advice.