Bearing points

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Ceres ll
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Bearing points

Post by Ceres ll »

Hi,

Is there any one who can tell me what are (and where are) the `` bearing points on the plate`` in an upright piano. I think it is related to the strings, but, this item doesn't appear on my piano diagramm.
Thanks
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The bearing points, not to sure what you are referring to, but the termination points on an upright are on the Vbar and bridge pins, now on some older uprights like Chappell they had bearing pads between the wrestpins and Vbar upright used listing brade to kill the sound

Modern uprights tend to use the dead length of string to enhance the top treble but most don't get it quite right and you end up with a nasty shrill

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

String bearing points are the places on the iron frame or bridge where the string changes its direction such the counter-pressure bar, the pressure bar, agraffe, front bridge pin, back bridge pin, aliquot or duplex scale plate or bar.
Ceres ll
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Ceres ll »

Hi all,

Is there anyone who can tell me ( in an upright) the name of the plate between the tuning pins and the metallic V bridge? It seems to exerce a pressure on the strings, and there are many big screws to retain it?

Is there any silencing device on the opposite side of this?

( Sorry for my bad english, my maternal language is french)

Hope you understand

Thanks
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Pressure bar (UK) may be called something different in the US

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

Pressure bar in the U.S. also.
Ceres ll
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Ceres ll »

Thanks,

And if i remove this pressure bar, what kind of material will appear on the other side? (This is to solve a generalized buzz problem)
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Ceres ll wrote:Thanks,

And if i remove this pressure bar, what kind of material will appear on the other side? (This is to solve a generalized buzz problem)
just the strings and the Vbar and a lot of grief if you remove it as the pitch will drop about a 5th and you will find it hard to get it back to the correct hight without dropping the pitch more

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

Any buzzing is unlikely to arise at the V-bar or pressure bar unless it is not exerting enough pressure. This is not something to fool around with in the hopes of making an improvement. Look elsewhere for the buzz.
Ceres ll
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Ceres ll »

Hi,

May it be all the strings who have to be changed? Is it normal after 30 years to change all the strings (except the single bass) in a spinet (who has played about 2 hours a day since buying new).?

Thanks
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Ceres ll wrote:Hi,

May it be all the strings who have to be changed? Is it normal after 30 years to change all the strings (except the single bass) in a spinet (who has played about 2 hours a day since buying new).?

Thanks
It's normal to chuck any 30 year old spinet in the recycling bin and buy a decent piano.

Don't fanny about trying to improve it, it's not worth the effort.
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

A thirty year-old spinet is not dead yet, unless it was d.o.a. Changing the plain-wire strings will not improve anything except your stringing expertise, unless they are terminally rusty.
Ceres ll
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Ceres ll »

Hi,

I have recently removed and turned some bridge pins in my old lesage 1919 antique piano, with a very positive result in sound , sustain, power and brightness.

I would like to do the same with my 1978 knabe spinet, but i cannot remove the pins. May i pull on it ,using all my strength, without making any damage to the bridge or the soundboard?
Is there any substance i can apply on it to facilitate the removal of the pins?

Thanks
Ceres ll
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Ceres ll »

That's o.k., I finally got it ..... by pulling with more strength.