Yamaha YUS 5: action too heavy

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

lovasco
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Yamaha YUS 5: action too heavy

Post by lovasco »

Dear fellows,

we bought a new Yamaha YUS 5 to replace an old Nindorf that was not worth repairing.

The new piano is excellent except for the action which is very, very heavy. Both I (a new piano student) and my wife (a few years at a Conservatory) find it somehow difficult to play some passages like piano and pianissimo (1st movement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata) as well as fast sequences of chords (some jazz pieces).

Strange enough, another new YUS 5 that arrived at the same dealer some weeks later, has a much lighter action.

When we asked the dealer if anything could be done in order to make the action less heavier, they told us that it is just a matter of time; better to have a heavier action than a lighter one, because this one will become even lighter in a few years.

We don't know whether there is a way to register the action in order to make it lighter.

Do you have any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance.
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Yamaha YUS 5: action too heavy

Post by mdw »

lovasco wrote:Dear fellows,

they told us that it is just a matter of time

We don't know whether there is a way to register the action in order to make it lighter.

Do you have any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance.
I think the translation for this is " we have the money in the bank now, goodbye". Speak to a tech who knows what he/ shes doing and ask him/ her to check it over and advise. How long ago did you buy the piano?
Its just heavy not slugish sticking notes???
lovasco
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by lovasco »

Thanks mdw.

We bought the YUS 5 at the end of january.

We agreed with the dealer to send us a technician to tune the piano as soon as the house heating ends (mid april). He will also check the keys weight and the action and make any required registration.

Hope this will fix the problem.

Thanks again.
I'm learning piano from scratch. Too late?