Advice on Kemble Upright

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Ben Wimpenny
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Advice on Kemble Upright

Post by Ben Wimpenny »

I am considering purchasing a 14 year old Kemble Upright(Woburn model I believe?)and will be viewing this weekend. I have been attracted to the Kemble make by their current range. To my ear, most of the upright pianos in their current range produce a wonderfully mellow tone. Their new pianos also appear to be well constructed with just the right touch that I require - unfortunately at this stage I do not wish to commit myself to the considerable financial outlay required of a new piano - but I do, if possible, want a piano with a pleasing tone ( I am currently hiring a Kawai Upright - I find the tone too bright and the key action too stiff).

Although clearly not as aesthetically pleasing as the current range, are the older Kembles still of a good quality and is there anything in particular I should be looking out for? Clearly I can make my own judgement with regard to tone and touch - but are there any particular idiosyncracies that I should be looking out for?
Ben Wimpenny
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Not in a 14 year old Kemble just look for excessive playing (look how deep the cuts are in the hammers) this will also show up in the tone chincky in the top treble ask when it was last tuned take note of what the tuning is like out by a lot or just a little take note of the room it is in and how close it is to a heat source take a tuning fork see if it is on pitch – would the piano be difficult to move lots of stairs ect, (adds to the cost of the removal)

If they know who tuned it last then give that person a ring and ask them what is it like are there any know problems

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Ben Wimpenny
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Ben Wimpenny »

Thanks for this Barrie. I will check the hammerheads, tuning and other matters - as listed in Larry Fine's 'The Piano Book'.

Clearly the quality of the piano will depend on how it has been treated and how much it has been played over the last 14 years. What I'm really trying to find out is whether the Kemble Woburn was 'generically' a good piano 14 years ago (if you get my drift).

Many Thanks
Ben Wimpenny
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Woburn is not a model I am aware of unless it is a name use for the US market

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Ben Wimpenny
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Ben Wimpenny »

If it's any help the serial number is 237324 which according to my research dates it as having been manufactured in 1991-92 - I assume this doesn't help however re. model type - or does it?
Ben Wimpenny
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I have asked Kembles but I think I may only get the out of office responder as they are getting ready for Frankfurt

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Ben Wimpenny
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Ben Wimpenny »

Barrie,

Thanks very much for asking - do you think there's any chance of Kemble responding over the weekend or will they now be 'shut down' until Monday?

I am going to view the piano on Sunday morning - even if Kemble don't respond in time, is it safe to say that a Kemble is a Kemble - i.e that the piano isn't another make masquerading as a Kemble? I ask this at the risk of sounding a bit paranoid I know and I know you can't guarantee anything as you are not viewing the piano yourself - but your opinion would be much appreciated.
Ben Wimpenny
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Kembles works odd hours but this is the big European trade show.........

Only Kemble make Kemble and in general if the piano has been looked after they are fine – but it would be advisable to have the tuning pins looked at if the piano is in a hot house

The base treble change over is Kembles week spot as they get older that is the change over from the covered strings to the steels the first few notes in the treble are wooden – dull most owner don’t pick up on it – it is a tone thing you are happy with it or not take your time play a few pieces don’t be rushed you are going to be sat in front of this piano for a few years

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
richarddale
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by richarddale »

buy a new Kemble 131 for 4500
Ben Wimpenny
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Ben Wimpenny »

What - that's a new black polyester Kemble 131 with piano stool delivered to Sheffield? :wink:
Ben Wimpenny
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The reply form Kembles was

“yes- 108cm 88 note . we made it about 16 years ago”

A new one on me, never tuned one but there again I tune that many Kembles I done always look at what model I am tuning

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Ben Wimpenny
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Ben Wimpenny »

Thanks very much Barrie for the info.
Ben Wimpenny