JBS piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Melody08

JBS piano

Post by Melody08 »

A lady gave my daughter an old piano. We have searched all locations suggested for a make with no luck. I did find what I believe to be the serial number #49775. It is a number carved on the back of the piano with the letters JBS directly above it. It has what seems to be ivory keys as they are very yellow in color. It's an upright with a mirror approximately 6 inches attached to the top. Hoping someone can give me a little information on it. I know that isn't much to go on but that is all we have been able to find.
Thanks in advance,
Melody
Bill Kibby

JBS

Post by Bill Kibby »

The number won't help unless we know the make, and JBS doesn't ring any bells with me. There is no information in your message which tells me anything about the piano. Ivory keys are not uncommon. Is the mirror 6 inches tall, or 6 inches wide, or 6 inches from the top? If you email me some photos of the whole piano, unobstructed by dogs, vases, stools etc., and lots of interior details, I may be able to tell more.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

If the mirror is 6" high and runs the width of the case you have a "mirror piano" which has been cut down from an old upright. The mirror was installed to make it appear shorter. It may be necessary to remove the mirror, which would have to be done to tune it in any case, to determine whether there is a makers name on the frame (plate). Sinece the case would certainly have been refinished when it was remodeled it is curious that the fallboard was not relettered. Not many makers put the serial number on the back, none with those initials come to mind.
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

If you look closely you will see that the letters and numbers are stamped, not "carved" into the wood. JBS might be J.B. Simpson who made Arion pianos and was later part of Estey Piano Co. An Arion serial number would indicate a date of 1910. If an Estey number it would be 1917. I don't know about Arion, but I don't recall that Estey put serial numbers on the back, but I'll have to check on that.
The yellowed condition does not indicate anything. Old celluloid can be yellow. Ivory that has been kept in the dark will turn yellow. Only close examination can tell.