S O S!

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

crescendo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by crescendo »

I think it is probably time for you to find yourself a teacher...

It is occasionally possible to find videos of this sort of piece on YouTube, but the quality is dubious and the timings could well be wrong.

Can you describe the rhythms in a bit more detail? Difficult to help without the book to refer to!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

You might find a friendly teacher who would give you a one-off lesson; praps Mrs Brum might spring for it as a birthday present?
Break it down into semiquavers, counting 16 to the bar, and rule lines down between each of the beats to help you work out when the next beat starts. If 16 to the bar seems a bit histrionic, try 8, counting the quavers. I think that 16 would be a good start though. Ignore the acciacaturas (have I spelt that right? It never looks it, however I spell it) for now, just play the straight music. You can always add the accaccaccaccaccaccacc things later.
Blimey, page 192 means you've nearly finished the book, that's excellent going! :)
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I always recomend that course to adults because it's so approachable without being simplistic or patronising. Also, because it uses songs you know, it's easy to know when you've gone wrong.
Try clapping the rhythms before you play them, and another trick is to find words to fit - 'Lud-wig' for the dotted, 'Beethoven' for the triplets, for instance. Anything will do, the more ludicrous the better, because you'll remember it. My husband's never really got over finding me staring at a bit of Scriabin muttering 'Nice cup of mil-ky tea', which was how I got the three against 4 rhythm. He's always thought musos are cracked, and that was simply confirmation...
I couldn't possibly tell you what I call my piano when I'm having a bad practice session, but it casts doubt upon its parentage. :roll:
crescendo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by crescendo »

Hi Dave,
Some excellent suggestions above - I can't really add anything new. It depends a bit on where you live, but you might be pleasantly surprised by how (relatively) cheap lessons can be. A lot of teachers are happy to take an adult who for whatever reason is unable to come every week. In my part of the country (average sort of town in the South West) I pay £19 for 45 minutes. Manageable for you on an occasional basis perhaps?
All the best,
Crescendo
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

Ask all your friends/neighbours/local music shop if they have a recording of the tune to enable you to listen to it.
I can remember it being popular when I was a teenager...late 50's if memory serves me correctly (Aghhhhhhhhh now that dates me). :wink:
Or you could try downloading it from a peer to peer network such as winmx.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Splendid; now go & get that piano lesson!! :)
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

No need for bad language, even if you are learning the piano...