Recondition or purchase a new piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Duffer
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Recondition or purchase a new piano

Post by Duffer »

I have been lurking around the forum for some weeks and have been impressed by the breadth and depth of knowledge of the regular, professional contributors. I would therefore welcome some advice from the forum about my piano.

I have a Danemann 5’3” “boudoir” grand serial number 94444. I purchased this about twenty years ago for £1,500 when was told by the vendor that he had bought it new some five years before. This website:

http://www.besbrodepianos.co.uk/pianose ... nemann.htm

confirms it was probably made between 1970 and 1980.

When I bought the piano I was too busy to use it much and sadly this remained true for most of the past twenty years. Six months ago I decided to take a sabbatical from a busy legal practice to spend time with wife who is very unwell.

This move has left me with a lot of time on my hands at certain times of the day when my wife’s condition means she must rest. To make something positive out of adversity I have been using this time to resurrect various pursuits of my youth such as chess (at which I was pretty good) and the piano, at which I was (and in my mid fifties still am) pretty grim.

In the last six months I have returned to the Danemann with a will. I always had it tuned regularly by a local chap who has frequently made very favourable remarks about its light but consistent action and its charming singing tone.

The fly in the ointment is that in recent months I have started to notice that the action of the central three octaves have become rather noisy as the hammers fall back to rest. There are also occasional buzzing noises from various keys (strings) about an octave above middle C. These noises come and go very quickly but are very annoying during their short visits. The noise from the action is also strangely variable in degree but is, to a greater or lesser extent, always present.

The tone of the piano remains to my tin ear quite delightful and there appears to be no problem with the action in terms of sticking keys or delay in repetition of notes.

My piano tuner seems to think I am just becoming more intolerant of very minor faults as I am playing more and he expresses no enthusiasm for a servicing job. I live in the wild west (near Totnes in Devon) and wonder if there are any technicians in my area endorsed by the “professional” members of the forum who might look at it for me.

Pending that does the team think:

1. that the age of the piano indicates it is time for a major reconditioning?
a. If so what would the price range be?
b. please also indicate the length of this piece of string I am holding!
2. a thorough reconditioning should remove all signs of aging - in the piano that is?
3. that a Yamaha C2M from, say, the esteemed Mr Venables for about £10k (£11K with silent system?) should be a noticeably superior instrument to the Danemann even after a recon’?
4. I would readily find a buyer for the Danemann and if so what price I could hope to achieve to offset the purchase cost of a new instrument? (Also please see question 1b. supra.)
5. I should simply enjoy the piano as it is and stop moaning?

Any and all well informed opinions gratefully received

Duffer
jackg
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by jackg »

Some thoughts on Danemann grands are here: http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-forums/pi ... t=danemann

A second opinion may help, perhaps ask schools or teachers or concert venues for their tuners phone number.
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

You aren't being fussy. I had similar problems with an old piano and it can be infuriating - not what you want when you are playing for relaxation!

If your regular tuner isn't interested in the job, I'm sure there will be others who would be and I would definitely get a second opinion, as per jackg's comment.

If in the end you decide to go for a new piano I'm sure the contributers to this site will provide good advice about sourcing it.
Duffer
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Duffer »

Thanks for the suggestions. I will call the local grammar school which has a good music department.

The link to the discussion of Danemann pianos was most encouraging but I confess I am sorely tempted by the thought of some serious retail therapy!

Does the C2M meet with general approbation?

Regards

Duffer
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by A440 »

A new piano may well make you happy. However the Danemann seems to please you. The faults sound very minor (the hammer return noise is probably just the hammer rest rail needs tightening- it wouldn't cost anything).At worst you may need some recentering -a regular maintenance job. Get a good tuner in and have a good chat with him about the faults before making any major moves.
david g
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by david g »

Since you live in Devon, why not try contacting Tim Danemann Pianos in Buckfastleigh? (Tel: 01364 642828, info@danemannpianos.co.uk).

Tim Danemann is of the Danemann family, and used to work in the factory in Islington. He runs a high quality piano restoration and repair service.

He could hardly be better located for you, and would seem to be an obvious person to ask.