Silent piano advice

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

SarahJ

Silent piano advice

Post by SarahJ »

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on buying a piano and silent pianos have grabbed my attention!

I live in a flat and the piano would need to live against the party wall, so a silent piano sounds like a great option for me. Money is an issue however, so I would be looking for a bottom-of-the-range silent.

The only real option I can see that is in my price range is the Yamaha B1. The Steinmayer S108 is a possibility, but is really out of my price range. Ideally I would like to spend £2000 but would be prepared to stretch that if necessary.

I am aware that the B1 doesn't have the MIDI option, but I am not bothered - I am really just after the best piano that I can afford.

My background - I learnt for about 8 years when I was a school and reached grade 6. I've now left uni and haven't played much in the last 5 years, but want to get back into it.

I have a few questions....

- Is the Yamaha B1 my only option, or are there other pianos that I should be considering?

- Is the Yamaha B1 a reasonable piano (given my budget) or am I shooting myself in the foot by going for a silent piano?

- Is the silent version identical to the standard, just with additional electronics?

- It looks like silent technology is fairly new - have there been any problems with it?

- If there are any problems, is it difficult to get hold of someone who can repair it?

- Would a silent piano hold its resale value, or have significantly more depreciation?

Any advice on the above questions would be much appreciated!

Many thanks in advance,
Sarah
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Silent piano advice

Post by mdw »

SarahJ wrote:Hi all,

- Is the Yamaha B1 my only option, or are there other pianos that I should be considering?

Yes you can have that type of system retro fitted to other pianos and other makes make them preinstaled

- Is the Yamaha B1 a reasonable piano (given my budget) or am I shooting myself in the foot by going for a silent piano?

You would be better buying a good piano and adding the silent system later than buying a budget piano which will always be a compromise.

- Is the silent version identical to the standard, just with additional electronics?

Yep

- It looks like silent technology is fairly new - have there been any problems with it?

It either works out of the box or not and ive not heard of any big problems.

- If there are any problems, is it difficult to get hold of someone who can repair it?

I doubt if many tuners will be able to repair but then they dont realy go wrong n my expereance

- Would a silent piano hold its resale value, or have significantly more depreciation?

I dont think people pay too much more once they are a few years old and out of guarantee as if the electrics go pop you just chuck them in the bin and youve just got a normal acoustic piano.

Any advice on the above questions would be much appreciated!

Many thanks in advance,
Sarah
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Silent piano advice

Post by Barrie Heaton »

SarahJ wrote:
With that budget you are limited on new ones as mdw has pointed out you can have one retro fitted but you are looking at 2k+ and will your neighbour's wait till you save up
SarahJ wrote: - Is the Yamaha B1 a reasonable piano (given my budget) or am I shooting myself in the foot by going for a silent piano?
The B1 silent is a good starter piano for the price
SarahJ wrote: - Is the silent version identical to the standard, just with additional electronics?
The action has to be modified to work with the silent system the set off and the checking is altered this can put some off the best way is to do a side by side play off a silent one and a none silent one see if you are happy

The same goes for any silent system on uprights. Grands are different they have a second set of set off

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Grenache
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Grenache »

I recently played some side-by-side by way of comparison.

I played a new Kawai upright with the silent system and found it incredibly heavy compared to the same piano without. It was quite hard work playing it, as I'm used to quite a light touch on my own 80-year old piano

I then compared a new Yamaha U1 standard model against a B1 with the silent system (that's what the dealer had in stock) and didn't notice any significant difference. I played both quite a bit and found it nearer to what I'm used to.

I played the U1 for ages and eventually ordered a U1 silent (as I too wanted the silent system). As they didn't have one in stock and had to order it, I'm still waiting to take delivery, but I'll let you know how I get on.
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by A440 »

The set-off is wider in a silent piano. This has the effect of making the action feel a little spongey. Once you notice it, it feels different but you can get used to it. However it's probably only a piano tech who would notice so best forget I even mentioned it... :?
SarahJ

Post by SarahJ »

Thanks for all the replies - I'm going to try out the standard B1 next to its silent version if possible.

I had a quote for installing the silent system into an upright piano (£1200), so given my budget, I don't think this gives room to get a decent piano anyway.

I'm not really used to a particular piano at the moment as I have had a break from playing, so will hopefully adapt to whichever piano I end up buying!

Sarah
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

I think it will be possable to get a silent system retro fitted for quite a bit less than that, aprox £800ish fitted. Depends on which system that is and where you are. They are not available right now but should be within 6-8 weeks.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

mdw wrote:I think it will be possable to get a silent system retro fitted for quite a bit less than that, aprox £800ish fitted. Depends on which system that is and where you are. They are not available right now but should be within 6-8 weeks.
What !! £800 fitted what system would that be and form who

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

SarahJ wrote:T
I had a quote for installing the silent system into an upright piano (£1200), so given my budget, I don't think this gives room to get a decent piano anyway.
Retro fitted ones do add more weight to the action about 1.5g with the altered set off they can make seem heavier

The new systems use infred which is the same as a factory fitted one and will not add the 1.5g

£1200.00 is about the norm

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page