any ideas???

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

chrissydaboo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by chrissydaboo »

Yes you`re right Andy! I`m going to get my tech guy to check it out, but I think we`re there! Karl Croston is the guy who`s set up the piano and it plays great.

Any clues on practice pedal installation ideas???
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

chrissydaboo wrote: It`s a 5 mill serial number with a sostenuto. priced at 2900. I think I and it are sold but what do you think? Also Can I put some foam inside it as a practice measure or fit some muffler?

:lol:
A retro-fit celeste is available. Speak to a good tuner/workshop. Should be about £300 fitted. Parts cost about half that, but they take a bit of fiddling with.

A 5 mil U3AS for that price sounds like an excellent deal, especially if it's a UK market model. Even if it's an import it's a bit of a bargain.

Buy it if you like it that much!
chrissydaboo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by chrissydaboo »

Thanks Pianoguy! You sound like a superhero . . . . I managed to knock him down from 3500 and He wouldn`t budge past 2900 but the piano had a great tone, very round and clear without being harsh. The info about the celeste rail ( I knew they had a better name than muffler thingy ) is very useful thanks a lot!

Many thanks Guys, I`ll think it through and let you all know if it becomes a purchase!
chrissydaboo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by chrissydaboo »

I forgot to mention the piano has had one female owner in north wales!
She bought a steinway . . . . . . . .
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

A genuine UK model then.

Bargain of the year. If you don't want it I'll have it!
chrissydaboo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by chrissydaboo »

Well guys, I bought the U3 and it comes a week monday! Hurrah! Much appreciated everyones input and will post an update of my thoughts after playing it for a month or two.

On a seperate note, a friend of mine has a steinway upright ( 1898 ) and I think it`s the model K. He`s trying to get the action more responsive is this a possibility?
I`ll get back with more details.

Chris.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Could be an early K or a Vertigrand.

No, the actions on those are notorious. Horrible unless you spend a fortune on a new action.
chrissydaboo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by chrissydaboo »

Any idea what a fortune might look like for that? My friend loves his pianos tone ,but not the feel. I guess it`s a familiar problem.
abc1337
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by abc1337 »

I settled on the Zimmermann Z1 - I got a very nice deal from Lincoln Piano Centre, and also like the chap I've done business with.

Just need to get the building work done now - then get it delivered.

No-one can say i have no patience!
Learning, but really enjoying!
chrissydaboo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by chrissydaboo »

:lol:
HOORAY!!! I`ve just had my new piano delivered today! ( Well 12 year old, new piano). I went for the Yamaha U3AS in the end and am very pleased with it. It plays very responsively and in my dining room sounds pretty big and punchy. But! Unlike the other U3`s I`ve played it has a roundness to it`s tone which puts it alongside the Schimmels for me in tonal quality. I`ve just played a bit of clementi and Oscar peterson and sang Always and forever by Luther Vandross on it and it`s just special!!
It`s possible there`s a state in america I could marry the beauty, but my wife may protest??! Many thanks for all the support and advice from a very happy man.