On-line business against shops

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

On-line business against shops

Post by A440 »

So, if you're fed up with customers coming into your shop weilding printouts for Rocking Chickens latest nonprofit making sale what do you do??
Well, I sometimes, in a fit of pique ,say " try out the piano then go and buy it from chickin rooster coz they have no shop, expertise or overheads to worry about so you'll get a cheap deal." Or I think what if.... I matched their price and say everyone else matched their price, what would happen in a short period? Would everyone buy from a warehouse or would everyone buy from a local shop with expertise and knowhow ? How long would it take for a reverse in current trends to occur? and Shops to have their revival? Presumably people prefer to buy online or offfline from a reputable and trusted outlet who offers the opportunity to try out instruments and has a history of experienced technicans.
At the moment box shifters are ruling the roost, and shopkeepers are either closing up or wringing their hands. We have to fight fire with fire and weather the storm.
Piano shops do have a future and cannot be destroyed by box shifters.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: On-line business against shops

Post by PianoGuy »

A440 wrote:Or I think what if.... I matched their price and say everyone else matched their price, what would happen in a short period? Would everyone buy from a warehouse or would everyone buy from a local shop with expertise and knowhow ? How long would it take for a reverse in current trends to occur? and Shops to have their revival?
Lovely idea, but I know a few piano dealers who have tried it with suicidal results.

Happily though, many internet dealers have found it impossible to survive on zero profit, and have disappeared up their own portals.
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

I am encouraged by some peoples comments on wanting to buy local. I do have to come close to some idiot price but I feel that if you try and beat/match the internet people then only they will win as they have no overheads to worry about.
I do get calls from people asking my best price on brand name pianos but if they are over 50 miles away then I don't bother and tell them to buy local.
Some people, even if you explain to them at length to why they need to try the piano they are buying, still don't listen.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I tend to speak to the women about new pianos, give them a list of the dealers I know and trust and who charge reasonable prices, and impress upon them the importance of playing the piano you buy...and then the man comes home and says 'but it'll be chaper on the internet'.
What can you do? :roll:
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

I am amazed at the number of 40-50 year olds (all male) that are addicted to ebay and other internet sites and the the other half complains about the amount of rubbish coming through the post.
I am sure that people will realise( some time in the future, in a gallaxy far far away)that the internet isn't the holly grail for purchases and that local services offer better service and back up.
Lets hope it won't be too late.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Gill the Piano wrote:I tend to speak to the women about new pianos, give them a list of the dealers I know and trust and who charge reasonable prices, and impress upon them the importance of playing the piano you buy...and then the man comes home and says 'but it'll be chaper on the internet'.
What can you do? :roll:
butter up the man :)

women tend to control the finances in most homes and the men just do as they are told.

My wife has got all the xmass presents for the last 5 years off the net.

The only thing she still drags me round the shops for is shoes

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
abc1337
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by abc1337 »

As a potential purchaser, there is a compromise to be made between what is an expensive purchase costing £5.8k, as against one costing £4.8k (most expensive v cheapest U3) - the main one being customer service back-up. This is not an easy decision in many respects.

As for the 50 mile comments - If I actually want to play any of the top 6 pianos at £5k new, in my area that will involve at least three shops in three differing cities! (Nottingham, Leeds, Derby)

Now I have to say that my other expensive purchases have always paid homage to the fact that good service and back-up is essential, but there has been some lee-way on price.

As in most things, there can be a mutual compromise.
Learning, but really enjoying!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

abc1337 wrote:As a potential purchaser, there is a compromise to be made between what is an expensive purchase costing £5.8k, as against one costing £4.8k (most expensive v cheapest U3) - the main one being customer service back-up. This is not an easy decision in many respects.
The typical buyer for the low end market were the bulk of the pianos are sold, is mum and dad who are buying for the kids because they have been told to do so, and unlike you don't try the pianos they just walk into the local shop see the prices sharp exit left and click click Oh !! look 30 % off the one in the shop and its the same make as joys teacher Hmm do they deliver here $$$$ sold

The saving grace for the local shop was the big pianos 12K and up but I have seen over the last year S6, S4 C7 C6 C5 C3 all sold over the phone with out looking at them.

That is not good for the small shops but again most of the small shop don't stock S6, S4 C7 C6 C5

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
abc1337
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by abc1337 »

Well Barrie,
you can trust me in that i am buying nowt until I've tried a few - that's all part of the process and fun - isn't it? hopefully in the process a light will switch on re a dealer i can 'trust', also.
Learning, but really enjoying!
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

You've got to push the "we're here when something goes wrong" message harder. Make sure they KNOW FOR A FACT that internet shopping is a false economy. You'll say that you already tell them that but I know of at least 3 families in my area who bought over the internet and the local dealer hadn't even mentioned aftercare to them. If mum comes in first do you make the first move and arrange a time there and then to talk to dad as well?
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

I always say that we (as a company) do our own removals which stops uness. damage. I will come and tune the piano 2-3 weeks after delivery, check it over and from there on, look after the servicing for you.
As regards to pricing, no dealer wants to turn a sale away so I would guess most dealers will come as much as they can to a price which agrees with both parties. As a customer, you need to see what extras are included, like regulation, tuning, warranty, delivery etc.
One thing about warranty, if something is advertised with a warranty, by law, you need a document supplied to you(customer) which says the date end of the warranty, what it covers, what it dosn't cover, and who to contact when there is a problem. As a consumer you get protection for 12 months from a trader and also from buying private but it is limited, especialy if its secondhand.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I had a little smile the other day one of the big online traders still has a shed full of C110 and C113 to get rind of. Bulk buying has its disadvantages

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

brings a new meaning to "shed sale" :)
alan forman
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

t`internet piano dealers

Post by alan forman »

I`ve been lumbered with numerous (old & knackered) pianos - both upt & grands that naive customers have bought "cheaply" off t`internet !!
Also, been asked to view eBay & advise on sellers description and price on the website for a potential buyer- this really brings us tuners into this century...unfortunately !!

Unbelievable that someone can buy a piano without seeing or playing it (or having a tuner assess it!).
:(
Alan Forman
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by A440 »

e-Bay is the same old bent pennies moving from a to b. The only difference is that a to b is usually much further. The best way to make money in the piano industry now-a-days is to be a mover!
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

It does seem ironic that we are being told to reduce our food miles whilst now buying all our household contents from etailers the other end of the country from where we live. But as most of the stuff we buy has already come from the other side of the world a short tip in the uk is not adding much to the overall journy.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

A440 wrote:e-Bay is the same old bent pennies moving from a to b. The only difference is that a to b is usually much further. The best way to make money in the piano industry now-a-days is to be a mover!

The LA's are not helping I seen a Chappel piano 3 time in 2006 and condemned it each time. I phone up client number 2 to ask why they put it back on E-bin when they said they would get the LA to skip it. they said the LA wanted £65.00 to remove it

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page