piano kemble k 121CLM

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

ermy73
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

piano kemble k 121CLM

Post by ermy73 »

Hi everybody, I have recently bought a piano kemble 121CLM and just today, after two months I own it, I have noticed a problem that occurs whenever I play a soft piece with the sustained pedal and press any key in the middle of the keyboard. What happens is that the hammers hit the strings twice producing an unwanted sound which annoyingly disturbs the melody (and me). So far I haven't had the chance to play any soft piece which also required the use of the sustained pedal, and am a bit frustrated to discover it just now, after all the money I have paid!! The problem doesn't occur when I play stronger pieces. Any idea of why this could happen? Hammers not well balanced? Something loose somewhere? Please advise. Thanks
Ermanno
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Was it a difficult delivery?
It could be simply that the action is not seated securely into the 'cups' that hold it in place.

Or:

Is your house excessively dry or damp, or is it too close to a radiator or heat source?
Possibly the action geometry has altered as a result.

Or:

It could be that your supplier was less than thorough with preparation.

The 121CLM is a superb piano, so don't lose faith in it. Get your tuner in to take a look and give you a diagnosis.
ermy73
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by ermy73 »

Thanks for your reply Pianoguy. I don't think it has anything to do with my house, and about the delivery, well, it's in the ground floor, but I had the feeling they were a bit rough when they brought it in. As the piano is under guarantee (10years), and I would like to avoid to pay the tuner for a visit (after all I really think it's a fault of the piano itself) do you think such a problem should be covered by the guarantee? I suppose (and hope) it should. It's not even 2 months old!
Thanks again
Ermanno
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

ermy73 wrote:As the piano is under guarantee (10years), and I would like to avoid to pay the tuner for a visit (after all I really think it's a fault of the piano itself) do you think such a problem should be covered by the guarantee?
Absolutely yes.

The 121CLM is a superb piano and looks good too. It should be faultless.
ermy73
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by ermy73 »

Wonderful. Thanks a lot pianoguy, you are a gentleman :-)
Piano Worker
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Piano Worker »

ermy73 wrote:Wonderful. Thanks a lot pianoguy, you are a gentleman :-)
the K121CLM is an exellent piano. Don't be put of by your problems, Kemble have an exellent turn around time for faulty pianos, and im sure they will be able to resolve these problems very quickly.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Kemble are excellent at sorting out problems with their pianos; a client of mine bought a piano from a dealer, having been led to believe that it was brand new. As that dealer (fortunately) went under, when she had a problem with the bass bridge, she contacted Kemble who checked the number and told her that it was in fact five years old, and second-hand. However, they repaired the piano for a very minimal fee - probably uneconomically so - and I was hugely impressed. Which ain't easy...
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Gill the Piano wrote:Kemble are excellent at sorting out problems with their pianos; a client of mine bought a piano from a dealer, having been led to believe that it was brand new. As that dealer (fortunately) went under, when she had a problem with the bass bridge, she contacted Kemble who checked the number and told her that it was in fact five years old, and second-hand. However, they repaired the piano for a very minimal fee - probably uneconomically so - and I was hugely impressed. Which ain't easy...
They've done the same for a client of mine too. Out of warranty, but no charge except for transport.

Top.
ermy73
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by ermy73 »

That's reassuring. I have contacted the retailer and he said the problem will be sorted out ASAP. Feeling better now :)
abc1337
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by abc1337 »

What is the update on this fault, please?
This in one option for a piano I'm looking at...

thanks
Learning, but really enjoying!
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Don't be put off by this. Any fault will be ironed out by Kemble I'm sure. After all, it's only a U1 in (very pretty) drag.

Buy that Kemble Mozart whilst stocks last!
abc1337
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by abc1337 »

LOL - I'm having room renovations and don't want to put a piano in there until the buildings done - i may look to play one then get it reserved if they are any good?
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

I wish Kemble would do the Motzart in some other finish as well, Im not loving the Black version either. I like the look of the Mahogany and the inlay sets it apart from other pianos but not everyone likes inlay.
A nice walnut satin/luster( not the rubbish mahogany stained stuff) would be nice and people in old houses would like it as it would fit in better.
ermy73
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by ermy73 »

This is the update. Called my piano tuner and he wasn't able to sort out the problem. Then I called Kemble, they came home and, well, didn't manage to sort out the problem. They will come on the 4th of January and pick it up and carry it to the factory. Anyway, I've tried the same piano in another shop and had the same problem. Most of the Kemble I've tried had the same problem. Tried many Yamahas and only one had this problem. Strange, considering it's the same factory and employees. My suggestion is, buy a Yamaha p121 as it costs much less and it's the same thing although it's not a limited series, for what it matters. The p121 I've tried had no probs.
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

the P121 is not the same. It is very easy to tell the difference between the two.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

sussexpianos wrote:the P121 is not the same. It is very easy to tell the difference between the two.
Based on the same design though.

I reckon that you're trying these Kemble pianos in showrooms before they've been prepared for sale. Some dealers have a policy of preparing pianos when they have sniffed a definite customer interest in them and leave them basically unprepped on the shop floor unless they find their technician has time on his hands.

There is, as ermi says, no logical reason why a new Kemble shouldn't be as good as a new Yam. Same factory, same people.
abc1337
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by abc1337 »

Interesting - will go try the Kemble 121 - poss in Leeds as the dealer up there also stocks Sauter....