Unthinkable Steinway modification

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Licciana

Unthinkable Steinway modification

Post by Licciana »

I have been lurking on the forum for a bit and am grateful for the depth of experience to be found here. It's always interesting to read everyone's opinions on different pianos.

I am an ex-pianist, by which I mean, I studied piano very seriously about 40 years ago since when I have hardly played at all. I would like to get back into practice again and would therefore like to buy a good piano to practise on. Having been brought up on Steinway (and latterly Yamaha) grands, I still gravitate towards these makes. I like their tone quality and more importantly the action on both of them. Unfortunately, I have a next door neighbour who will not be pleased if I buy a piano and given the amount of time since I last really played properly I thought the answer might be to get a silent piano. I know that Yamaha make silent pianos and Disklaviers but I don't know if my budget would run to one of these. I believe, however, there is a system that can be fitted to any acoustic piano which will effectively give you the option of using it digitally and I could just about afford to fit one if I managed to find a reasonably priced piano.

I've just been told about the availability of a 1939 Steinway (which I haven't played yet so I don't know what condition it is in) at a price I could definitely afford. My dilemma is this: if the piano turns out to be a good one, would it be a travesty to modify it with a digital retrofit?
Big Bird
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Big Bird »

An Old Blanket or three placed over the strings would be alot cheaper than any sort of digital refit.

The other thing that would cost you nothing would be to say...."to hell with the neighbours!!!" and enjoy yourself. :lol:
Gustav Hagspiel 5'10" Burl Walnut Baby Grand Serial #: 980
Melbourne Australia
See it at: www.myspace.com/harryg73
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Retro fitting a silent system to grands is messy to do right you need to make major modifications to the grand action a factory fitted one is the best option for grands

Uprights that different retro fitting a silent system to an upright is a walk in the park compared to a grand

There are many things that you can do to a room to kill the sound and little items like acoustic dampening castor cups all help but if you can work with your neighbours and work out a timetable. Sadly musical interments are getting clobbered at the moment by EH in the UK for noise

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Licciana

Post by Licciana »

Yes, I forgot to say that I was talking about grands.

Actually, even without the difficult neighbour I think I would like to have a silent system. I can't imagine the embarassment of having everyone passing by my house hearing me practise. I wouldn't mind so much once I could play well again, but all those hours of painful practising!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Then I would opt for a U3 silent or a C3 silent if funds permit

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Licciana

Post by Licciana »

Barrie Heaton wrote:...if funds permit
And if they don't?... Would you be horrified at the "rape" of a Steinway (turns out it's 1934 not 1939 as described above in case that makes a significant difference)?
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

retrofit a steinway? are you mad?
There are acoustic kits in America for grands to silent them a bit. just google it.
I would not recommend fitting a silent system to a grand, like fitting cheap alloys to a Model T Ford.
I have only fitted silent systems to uprights. The setoff is adjusted so it will play differently. And you will have to get used to the thumping noise from the hammers hitting a bar.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Licciana wrote:
Barrie Heaton wrote:...if funds permit
And if they don't?... Would you be horrified at the "rape" of a Steinway (turns out it's 1934 not 1939 as described above in case that makes a significant difference)?
Me na....! all the jacks would have to be changed and the new ones fitted with a second set of trip leavers for the second set of set off buttons you would need not cheep

This is your man he will do all the bits to convert a grand
www.gabor-pianos.co.uk/

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page