Cold piano :(

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

2005JG
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Cold piano :(

Post by 2005JG »

Hi

I would like to ask some advice. My piano is in the extension of our house and as it is detached from the building becomes cold. As autumn is now here its time for central heating, but would like to ask what is best for my piano. The piano is about a year old now and would like to ask for advice: should I keep the room cold, use the radiator heating or move it? Other ideas?

Also would like to ask maybe a repeated question of how to keep a ‘piano black’ piano clean? Finger marks on the wood are the biggest problem, dust occasionally too.

Any help?
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Also would like to ask maybe a repeated question of how to keep a ‘piano black’ piano clean?
It's a complete pain. You want to try keeping five school pianos clean! The shiny black finish shows up every last finger print and smudge - I'm surprised people don't complain more - mind you most school pianos I've seen are filthy so I'm probably just obsessive.

I use the Cory spray polish and polishing cloths for the casework and the Cory buff bright (not sure of spelling) for the decals. It's available online from pianocovers.com

Seems to work well, although I usually let the decals go a bit dull as I find them distracting when they're really bright. God, how sad am I?