S&S M-65 (Hamburg) or S&S O-18 (NY)

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Stoneway

S&S M-65 (Hamburg) or S&S O-18 (NY)

Post by Stoneway »

Hello
Last edited by Stoneway on 19 Oct 2007, 14:59, edited 2 times in total.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Nearly everyone I know in the trade would say 'HAMBURG' - including me....no contest as far as I'm concerned; the German Steinways are far superior to the american ones. No doubt you'll get other opinions...!
Stoneway

Post by Stoneway »

Thanks, Gill!
To me it's a complex decision when having to deal with several parameters such as different models, years, factories, etcetera... Btw what impact has the extra 10 centimetres soundwise? Or are the M and O similiar dogs? Are all US made models worse than the German counterones, or are there any us production years with better reputation?
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Stoneway wrote:Thanks, Gill!
To me it's a complex decision when having to deal with several parameters such as different models, years, factories, etcetera... Btw what impact has the extra 10 centimetres soundwise? Or are the M and O similiar dogs? Are all US made models worse than the German counterones, or are there any us production years with better reputation?
There are bits of the US Steinways that are in theory better than the German, for example the maple rim construction. Trouble is , US ones are very variable - even more variable than the German ones! A nicely sorted US Steinway can be good, but in general, the German ones are the ones to have. As far as investment potential goes, the German Steinways beat the US ones hands down.

New York Steinways from the early 1960s can be very good indeed but avoid the Model L.

If you are talking about rebuilt instruments, they're only as good as the rebuilder.
Robak
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Robak »

My code of ethics forbid me to comment, but I suggest you go to McDonalds and think about it. Whilst you're there maybe try a patty of beef in a bun, with or without cheese, to help you decide. I've forgotten the name of this delicacy but I'm sure it will come to you! :wink:
WinstonChurchill
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by WinstonChurchill »

Interesting that all you Brits prefer the German Steinways. Back home in Canada I only ever heard the reverse!
Stoneway

Post by Stoneway »

PianoGuy wrote:
New York Steinways from the early 1960s can be very good indeed but avoid the Model L.

If you are talking about rebuilt instruments, they're only as good as the rebuilder.
Thanks PianoGuy.. What is your view on the differences between the M and O models in terms of tonal qualities -- Are there any?