Broadwood & Sons pitch

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

pianoman1984

Broadwood & Sons pitch

Post by pianoman1984 »

Hi all, A friend of mine who is a professional piano restorer is currently working on a straight-strung 1840 Broadwood grand, serial number 16000. This grand was previously tuned to A=440hz, which probably was too much for the piano as it nearly collapsed. Now the piano has a new pinblock and severe structural work is carried out. My friend would like to know if this piano was originally tuned to A=440 or was it tuned to a lower pitch? Any help appreciated.

regards

Niels Berkers
The Netherlands
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

You could very likely find out from Rosamund Harding's book. The translator's appendices to Helmholz have material on the history of pitch. I would be a bit cautious about using modern piano wire of the same gauge since it is likely to be of higher density and require increased tension to come up to pitch than the original. There is wire suitable for restoration of historic instruments availabe (just don't ask me for the source off the top of my head).

Tom Tuner
Bill Kibby

Pitch

Post by Bill Kibby »

The question of which pitch was used when is not simple, the book will not answer this, there was a tremendously variation in pitch between different makers, musicians, orchestras, etc.. Some pitches were higher than 440 in 1840, so it was almost certainly capable of doing it originally, with the original wire, but that doesn't mean it should necessarily be risked now. Unfortunately, there is no hard-and-fast rule, and different tuners have different ideas about this. I believe the most important thing is never to raise it to suddenly with an antique instrument, do it in gradual stages.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

I believe there are some data on stringing for Broadwoods in Harding. A real expert of my aquaintance has been using low density wire for restringing antique pianos for about 25 years. This for tonal reasons as well as to keep down the total tension. I could ask him about a supplier. Recently stainless-steel wire was suggested for the purpose, with a source given.
In an instrument nearly 170 years old the question arises whether the wire is original. Although steel wire was available a few years earlier, the piano might well have been strung with iron.
For more on pitch see "History of Piano Tuning," G. Green, MA this site.

Tom Tuner
pianoman1984

Post by pianoman1984 »

It definately isn't the original wire. That's the point exactly, probably the piano was in such bad shape because of the wrong wire being used. so next to the pitch the stringing scale is important to know. I'll suggest the book to the restorer, any other info is also very welcome ofcourse

thank you and regards,
Niels
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

I'm awaiting a reply on the suitable wire. Broadwood grands of that age are surely not so scarce that someone cannot find a less altered on of the same size and measure the strings for you. Have other restorers kept no records of their work which they might share?
I am myself somewhat skeptical of the stainless-steel wire suggestion, but pass it along for what it may be worth to you.

Tom Tuner
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

Go to: www.puretone-wire.com/ for info on stainless-steel wire.

Tom
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

Published descriptions rarely list string gauge or micrometer measurement. I have one for Broadwoods, an approx. 1825, 7 ft. 4 in. grand.

Tom Tuner[/i]