yamaha v kemble

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

pkerr

yamaha v kemble

Post by pkerr »

Looking for some advice please. We are currently in the process of purchasing a piano for our children. We have budgeted around £3000 and are looking at the Kemble Oxford/Cambridge series or the Yamaha P series. Could anyone offer any suggestions as to the pros and cons of each make.

Many thanks frustrated father

Peter
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

The P114m and new Cambridge 12 are basically identical bar the badge and the stick-on Kemble roundel on the frame. The Kemble roundel masks the Yamaha logo which is cast into the metal of the frame, and if you could prise it off, you'll see the three tuning-fork design underneath, but you won't be able to, because Yamaha took three years to perfect the strength of the glue!

The P116T is basically an Oxford, the extra 2cm of height achieved by bigger castors and perpendicular casework. This variant is the better buy because the casework is more elegant and traditional and is less affected by forces in fashion.

Choose whichever you like the sound of best. They're all good and made alongside each other in the same factory in Milton Keynes. Building two brands allows Yamaha to sell at competing dealers in the same town and offers a perceived "Englishness" in the Kemble for those who have a problem buying products made by those fiendishly clever chaps with the slitty eyes in far-off Jappoland. The joke's on them really, because Kemble is so much part of Yamaha now that it makes little difference. Kemble dealers are less prone to the ridiculous discounting rife amongst the poorer quality Yamaha dealers these days, and on the whole appear to be smaller dealerships with more technical knowledge.

At least for the moment all the pianos you mention are giving much needed employment to the UK piano industry.
pkerr

Thanks

Post by pkerr »

Thanks for the advice.
Our local dealer only sells Pearl River, which we were not too sure about, so we will trawl the internet or travel a bit further afield to see the yamaha and kemble.

Not so frustrated father
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Pearl River are the cooking Chinese piano. Their best efforts are badged as other things. The exception is the Yamaha-Pearl-River UP125-Mi which is a very decent instrument in the vein of the Yamaha U1. It's bigger than the pianos that you mention, but should be cheaper. This version has a small label stating "Made by Yamaha Pearl-River" on the treble end of the keyslip below the keyboard.
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

On the subject of crazy discounts:
Speaking from bitter experience I would avoid the big discount outfits. They will get you the lowest price if that's the crucial thing for you but bear in mind that you won't have any of the aftercare service that a good, well established local business will be able to offer you. I've had no option but to go for the lowest quote a couple of times and for various reasons (well, one reason actually - I ain't got enough money) but if you can stretch that bit further it's well worth it in the long term.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Openwood wrote:On the subject of crazy discounts:
Speaking from bitter experience I would avoid the big discount outfits. They will get you the lowest price if that's the crucial thing for you but bear in mind that you won't have any of the aftercare service that a good, well established local business will be able to offer you.
Absobleedinlutely!

Mind you, with the shake-up that Yamaha have planned for all of their dealers, discounting on the current scale may have to stop..... I say all, but their dealer base has plummeted from being in the hundreds to twenty-odd. Smaller dealers can't compete with the discount juggernauts, so they're refusing to stock Yamaha pianos.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

PianoGuy wrote:
Mind you, with the shake-up that Yamaha have planned for all of their dealers, discounting on the current scale may have to stop..... I say all, but their dealer base has plummeted from being in the hundreds to twenty-odd. Smaller dealers can't compete with the discount juggernauts, so they're refusing to stock Yamaha pianos.
Some of the dealers in the south are very apprehensive

The playing field will be made equal to a point as the main complaint has been we can only buy them for what they are selling them for. The £25.00 prep at Buttlers and 12p a day storage which some of the dealers use quite a lot that will get more expensive or stop. That will hit the dealers in the south more. It will not stop discounting as there are ways to do it if they wish, but the 40% days are gone.

The one to watch is Kemble if what they launch next month takes off....... Yamaha will look at it with interest

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
pkerr

Post by pkerr »

Thanks a lot folks, unfortunately living on the west coast of Scotland we are immediately handicapped by the lack of a decent dealers. We have a couple in and around the Glasgow area but they seem determined to ally themselves to one make or another, making a comparison between manufacturers nigh on impossible in the same showroom.

On anaother point, just regarding the Pearl River piano, we can find no decent comprehensive specification of build. I would assume since there is no mention of metal frame that this piano does not include this could anyone clarify this for me.

Many thanks
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Have you tried Peter Smith they stock Kemble Yamaha and Kawai so you will be able to do a comparison
www.petersmithpianos.co.uk

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

All pianos made now have metal frames, so to mention it is a bit redundant. Like advertising a car with rubber tyres!
Piano Worker
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Re: yamaha v kemble

Post by Piano Worker »

pkerr wrote:Looking for some advice please. We are currently in the process of purchasing a piano for our children. We have budgeted around £3000 and are looking at the Kemble Oxford/Cambridge series or the Yamaha P series. Could anyone offer any suggestions as to the pros and cons of each make.

Many thanks frustrated father

Peter
:) Wait a while before you decide. Kemble will be unvailing there brand new OXF this weekend and a new cambridge.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Another new Cambridge?

Sounds interesting. I shall keep my eyes open.
Piano Worker
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Piano Worker »

PianoGuy wrote:Another new Cambridge?

You will be amazed, these are top quality trust. It is true that the Yamaha and Kemble are made in the same factory in Milton Keynes, but trust me more quality goes into a Kemble than a Yamaha, after all the work force is British :lol:
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The Contemporary Collection

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Barrie Heaton wrote:

The Contemporary Collection

Barrie,

Hell, that's one ugly pig of a piano!

Reminiscent of a 1960s Danemann.....
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

well at least they are doing their best by making pianos more distinctive. If I had a modern look home and wanted something different, I would consider it.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

PianoGuy wrote:

Hell, that's one ugly pig of a piano!

Reminiscent of a 1960s Danemann.....
Quite a lot of retailers like it, the case makes the piano look substantial and some say chunky

Not tuned one yet, but the thicker cast parts should make the bass sound richer

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Looks as though it should be electric/digital to me. Wouldn't give it house-room, I'm afraid!
Piano Worker
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Piano Worker »

Gill the Piano wrote:Looks as though it should be electric/digital to me. Wouldn't give it house-room, I'm afraid!
If thats what you drive around in you wouldnt no style if it jumped up and bit in the face.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Piano Worker wrote:
Gill the Piano wrote:Looks as though it should be electric/digital to me. Wouldn't give it house-room, I'm afraid!
If thats what you drive around in you wouldnt no style if it jumped up and bit in the face.
Well I own an Eames chair, some Ernest Race chairs, a few Ingo Maurer lamps and a Lotus Elise 111R, so probably know a bit about style.... Or at least what's supposed to be a style icon.

I think the Oxford looks fine, but the Cambridge is trying too hard, and is confused-looking. Cabinet design in pianos is often unadventurous, so maybe Kemble deserve a pat on the back for breaking the mould. They did good with the rather nice Conran Associates' Vermont but witness recent styling attempts which are dubious:

The Yamaha Radius
The Yamaha V-series
Anything owned by Elton John
Most of the Bösendorfer 'designer' stuff
Most mainstream German makers' attempts to 'do' anything other than a black box

I still think the Cambridge looks too much like a 1960s Danemann to sell particularly well. In walnut Satin I reckon it'd be a dead ringer, although I'm sure it's a lovely instrument. I'd stick to the basic Cambridge I think.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Good God, no, I have absolutely no style...but I can spell, so that's a consolation! :wink:
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Gill the Piano wrote:Good God, no, I have absolutely no style...but I can spell, so that's a consolation! :wink:
You have bags of style Gill, and the car's splendid!
Piano Worker
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Piano Worker »

Gill the Piano wrote:Good God, no, I have absolutely no style...but I can spell, so that's a consolation! :wink:
I have it on good authority, that these new models are flying out of Kembles Factory, and that they will strugle to meet demand. I agree that the Vermont was a good case for a piano, but they didn't sell. I've heard a rumour that these will not be the only new models coming from Kembles. They are set to unvail a new Winsor Empire, and a new K121
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Piano Worker wrote:I have it on good authority, that these new models are flying out of Kembles Factory, and that they will strugle to meet demand.
I really do hope so, because I think Kemble products are very good and are to be supported, but I work for half a dozen Kemble dealers and have yet to see one!!
Piano Worker
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Piano Worker »

PianoGuy wrote:
Piano Worker wrote:I have it on good authority, that these new models are flying out of Kembles Factory, and that they will strugle to meet demand.
I really do hope so, because I think Kemble products are very good and are to be supported, but I work for half a dozen Kemble dealers and have yet to see one!!
They have mainly gone to europe so far, but kemble are now dispatcing to uk dealers, im sure you will see one soon
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Piano Worker wrote:
They have mainly gone to europe so far, but kemble are now dispatcing to uk dealers, im sure you will see one soon[/quote]

The Centres of Excellence will get them first

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page